RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Redeeming AGR points

Author Topic: Redeeming AGR points
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been a while since I have redeemed AGR points for a trip , but I plan to do so soon.

I want to take a trip to Florida from Pittsburgh. But, I would prefer to go through Philadelphia instead of DC for a one-way ride.

I have enough points accumulated for a sleeper for the whole trip. However, I would like to opt for a Business Class ticket to Philly, and then a sleeper from there to Orlando.

I am concerned that I will be offered no choice but to accept a ticket on the Capitol to DC to connect with the Meteor there. But, I would prefer a Business Class ticket on the Pennsylvania to Philly to connect with the Meteor there instead.

There are two reasons for this:

1. The Pennsylvania departs later in the morning from Pittsburgh thus making it easier for me to get a ride to the station.

2. I would prefer to board the Meteor sooner rather than later and boarding in Philly allows me this option.

My question is this:

What are the chances I can actually get the option I prefer ?

It will not be a "disaster" if I must go through DC. However, I really would prefer to connect with the Meteor at Philly instead. According to the schedule, there does seem to be adequate connection time.

How insistent should I be ?

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You just have to phone Amtrak Guest Rewards and ask them; certain routes are available with AGR points, others are not. But actually, unless the Pennsylvanian is a really popular train, I would think they would be more inclined to give you that route you want than to use the Cap Ltd for your points, because what you want involves just 1 sleeper while using the Cap Ltd and Meteor involves TWO sleepers for the "price of one"--i.e., for the single-zone rate--and so wastes more of Amtrak's money on meals etc. OTOH, it all may depend on schedules and connections--the DC connection is a lot safer (though both are offered for cash customers). The Pennsylvanian is capable of being late to Philly, and you could miss your southbound Meteor connection because of it; the Cap Ltd is unlikely to be so late to DC that you would miss the Meteor there.

If they do let you book with the Pennsylvanian to Philly & then the Meteor, be very clear that they are to give you business class on the Pennsylvanian. If you don't ask and make sure you get it, you may not; that has happened to me when I've connected to Empire Service with my points from NYP on the FL train.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I last used AGR last summer for a San Diego - Memphis trip. I had no problem getting Business Class on the daytrip between San Diego and Los Angeles.

One suggestion which you may want to consider - If they insist on a Capitol routing I'd likely use AGR for Philly - Florida on the Meteor and then just buy a seat.....coach or business....from Pitt to Philly. Kind of defeats the purpose, I know, but you can rationalize that you're getting a headstart on earning back the AGR points you're using for sleeper on the Meteor!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lately I have found AGR folks to lack much common sense as they are not geography savy nor train savy. They most likely will grant your routing choice if it shows up as an option when you go online and type in Pittsburgh to your FL destination on the reservation page. If the Philly routing is an option, they will allow that. If not, they will not no matter how logical it may be. They used to be much more flexible.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I am happy to announce that AGR did accomodate my desire to connect to the Meteor (from Pittsburgh) through Philly instead of DC.

I am anxious to see exactly how many of my points were used however. I had enough points accumulated for a sleeper (one zone) between Pittsburgh and Orlando. I opted to use Business Class for the Pittsburgh/Philly leg since the Pennsylvania leaves at a more reasonable hour yet still allow for a reasonable connection time to the Meteor in Philly.

In my opinion, all of my points should not have been required because I did NOT opt for a sleeper for the entire journey----which my point total allowed for. However, AGR may not agree with this logic. Anyway, it is no big deal. I really wanted to use the points.

I am both excited and apprehensive about service on the Meteor. I have used both trains #92 and #97 before and was not very pleased. So I am wondering how this trip will go. My son and I depart on March 27th.

I will post a report upon our return.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page