RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Ticket Questions

Author Topic: Ticket Questions
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had some questions with regard to my Amtrak ticket pricing. I have a verifiable disability with a doctors note so I got the discount. My question is why does my ticket disability- Must have valid ID on Train and then Photo Id required if I already showed my letter at the station and they said that I do not need the letter onboard the train.

If my disability was already confirmed via the letter and i do not have the letter with me on the train technically they cannot make me pay the difference. Isn't there a special code the ticket agent enters that the disability has been confirmed? I know that I need my government ID which is not a problem.

Also as for the fare pricing it says" Special One-way fare" even though I am going r'/t from the Bay Area to Lamy NM. So does this mean I am paying a special discounted one way fare as opposed to the full fare?

As for "Special Service Requested" if I am not mistaken the LA station will have a Red Cap cart waiting for me at the Disabled sitting area located by the underground walkway?

Will I need to check in at the small booth by the boarding area for dining reservations as I can go up to the sightseer lounge car and diner car to get my reservation or will this be done on the train?

I have booked the Lower Level coach so if I am not mistaken when I get to the car that I am assigned in I can tell the conductor which seat I prefer by the window in the last row of the car away from the sliding door? Or do I just board and choose a seat and wait for my ticket to be taken etc.

As for the San Joaqin Train there is nothing about a Lower Level seat but since I have a "Special Service Requested' Can I take a seat in the lower portion of the car since my disability is documented in my notes.

Thanks in advance for your responses to my questions. It has been since 2005 since I have taken Amtrak and I wanted to be sure the polices are the same.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't take the ID part personally. After 9/11, everyone is required to have and to show a photo ID when boarding Amtrak. Also, if you have received a discount because of your disability, they will want to make sure that it's really you and that you haven't given your discounted ticket to your cousin Fred.

Under Amtrak's system a coach reservation does not guarantee you a specific seat; it only means that there is a vacant seat (in your case, a vacant lower level seat) somewhere on the train. Should you have difficulty locating one, the train crew will help.

When boarding the train, you may take any vacant seat as evidenced by the lack of a seat check above it. The seat checks are what count, not the sweaters, handbags, or other paraphernalia that enterprising passengers spread around to try to "save" themselves a double seat. If such is the case and the train is crowded, just ask your fellow passenger to kindly clear away his/her items as you need to sit there; should you encounter any resistance the conductor will intervene on your behalf when he arrives to collect your ticket.

If they are taking dinner reservation requests in the station I advise you to get yours in ASAP before the seatings are all taken. Remember that sleeping car passengers get first priority in the dining car. If your disability makes it difficult or impossible to climb stairs or to travel between cars your coach attendant is supposed to serve your meals at your seat. While there is no extra charge for this service, a tip is appropriate.

As far as your "special one way fare" fare code, Amtrak prints on each ticket the fare basis and price paid, which is what they will refund if you cancel and turn your tickets back in. Assuming you have tickets for both your outward and homeward journey, it appears that you are paying this special one way fare both ways and that such is cheaper than a "round trip" fare.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page