RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Free WiFI on trains etc?

Author Topic: Free WiFI on trains etc?
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if one can get Free WiFi on the Amtrak San Joaqins as well as going through towns with free public Wifi? I know that at schools you can use their WiFi as well at some cafes and other areas.

On The SW Chief from LA to Albuquerque is there any WIFI signals that you can pick up at the speed the train is going? Has Amtrak looked to provide WiFi like the airlines have done. Even if I have to pay $10 for the ride it is worth the cost.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's at least one company (www.waav.com) that would love to be able to provide you with that service. They've had some success with the MBTA in Boston, providing WiFi on commuter trains. Point me in the right direction at Amtrak, maybe we can get it done!
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Capitol Corridor experimented with WiFi in a few cars, but it never panned out.

If Amtrak were to get WiFi, it would HAVE TO BE dummy proof. There is no way in heck that WiFi can be placed into the hands of on-board Amtrak employees----no way at all. The system would have to be locked and bolted down, and it must have some sort of contraption to remotely repair issues from a central location (a non Amtrak location). I'm assuming something like this is available? I am absolutely certain that something like this placed into the hands of Amtrak would become an instant disaster.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even at a gentle roll on Amtrak, you're extremely unlikely to be able to lock on to a WiFi signal long enough to be of any use unless stopped for a decent duration. Add to that any trees, buildings, hills, and metal train walls that are in the way and that'll weaken the signal further. You might want to look up Wardriving, though I guess in this context it could be Warrailroading.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoff---I don't know if the train's movement is an issue any longer (from a technology standpoint). When they ran the test on the Capitol Corridor, it worked very well on the double-decker California Cars. The problem was Amtrak (as usual).

Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I think there is WiFi on commuter trains back east in addition to MBTA?

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty, when you get WiFi on trains it's usually a WiFi broadcast system actually on board the train (at least the ones I've seen); I was referring to trying to lock on to a fixed WiFi zone in residences, workplaces, schools etc beside the track. How the train's WiFi communicates with the outside world is not within my knowledge...

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Okay--I get it now. [Smile]

Before I purchased my wireless card for my Mac, I would try to pick up free WiFi signals when the train was stopped somewhere. I was successful on a few occasions (such as the station stop at Martinez, CA)---but other than getting lucky a few times, it's almost impossible to do.

TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoff, Smitty:

Mobile WiFi basically is an aircard from a wireless provider hooked to a WiFi brodcast system inside the train. WAAv (see above) uses 2 cards from different providers and a router to provide uninterrupted service. There aren't any moving parts, so it's a mystery to me how an Amtrak employee could foul it up. If you can get cell phone service you can get WiFi service. Not too good on the SW Chief second night out in SE Colorado, though.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jarrod
Member # 4318

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jarrod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TravelPlus,

You can show your support for WiFi onboard Amtrak trains by hitting "I like this idea" at http://getsatisfaction.com/amtrak/topics/wifi

I hope this site catches on for rail advocates - it's an easy way to get all of our ideas listed all together - and it even ranks them by the most popular ones. I have been in contact with a representative from Amtrak and they are working on getting someone to monitor the site.

Jarrod

Posts: 82 | From: San Lorenzo, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Urda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI,

I've been using a broadband card on my laptop. After much research, I decided on Millenicom.com for my service. Month to month, with no FAP in effect for now. I'm using Verizon towers with a speed of between 1.2 and 1.7 MB down and 200 to 700KB up.

TBlack's explanation above is right on.

Good luck.

Joe

Posts: 85 | From: Finger Lakes Region of NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page