RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Should I take the Lake Shore Limited?

Author Topic: Should I take the Lake Shore Limited?
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I travel from NJ to Chicago every August for Beatlefest and to visit family & friends. We usually fly, but we tried Amtrak for the last two trips (LSL in 2000 and Capitol Limited in 2001) and loved it. This year, I bought plane tickets because the fares have been so cheap. However, I've been really thinking about train travel, especially after reading this forum!
I do not want to travel by rail round-trip...we have to return home on a Monday, and the hotel we'll be at for Beatlefest is very close to O'Hare (with a free shuttle). We'll have been away for more than a week, and can't take any more time off from work. However, rail would fit in well for our plans to Chicago...we're staying downtown for a few days, so we'll be right there if we enter the city via Union Station. Since we don't have any agenda for that leg of our trip, it won't matter if we get into Chicago late...in fact, if the train runs on-time, we'll get there just when our plane would be taking off from Newark!
We're thinking of taking the Lake Shore Limited...I'd like to try the Three Rivers, but I want to go on a train that has a full-service dining car. We also really enjoyed the views going along the Hudson River. For those who travel this train regularly, has service been as good lately as in the past? Also, I checked the train status for the past few days, and saw that the recent LSLs have been at least 2 hours late. Is that how the train has been lately? It was like that in 2000 as well. Have the delays been caused by all that goes on at the Albany stop?
Thanks!

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Late Sure Ltd" has been exactly that for most of the past year. While I particularly have NOT taken that train for various "bad service" reasons (including the food, which WestBound has been less than desirable).
I have taken the much touted Capitol Ltd. and always been delighted.

Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only taken the Lake Shore Limtied twice, from Chicago to Boston, and then the return trip. The service was horrible both time. These were by far the worst experiences I have ever had with Amtrak in all the many trips I have taken. I kept a journal as I always do, and when I listed everything wrong to Amtrak later, they gave me a voucher worth the cost of the entire trip.

The general route of the trip went through some nice parts of the country. I enjoyed the route, but not the service. However, the windows were so filthy, it was difficult to see the beautiful views.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daisy, everyone has different experiences. Over 90 percent of my experiences on the LSL have been problem-free. I traveled coach from Albany to Chicago and had a great ride. The scenary is beautiful, and it could be a great train with new equipment. I would recommend this train to anyone except to someone who needs to be on-time. The LSL gets caught up in several places, and Albany was one of them. Due to the schedule changes and better planning it has been departing on-time lately. On the other hand, with the station construction, and the convergence of 3 trains at once on Albany, it still is delay-prone. The largest delays for me have been trying to get in and out of Chicago, but that happens to every train it seems.

It's just my opinion, and I admit that I travel on the LSL for mostly just short distances between Albany, Buffalo and Boston.
But let me add, my LD trips on the 'shore have been problem free, and the food was great.

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striperjack
Member # 1636

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for striperjack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though I have had problems with surly dining car crews I still use the LSL,(its the only train from Bos-Chi)I still look forward to our trips out West. We are retired and running late is not a problem. If I were you I would take a chance on the Lakeshore, all considered it;s a great ride. Try it I think you will like it. Jack M
Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your replies, but we had to bag this idea. With the change in air tickets and the cost of taking Amtrak, this would've added an extra $1500 to our trip. So we'll fly round-trip this time...as a consolation prize, I was able to cash in some frequent-flyer miles and get confirmed upgrades to first-class.
We'll just look towards taking Amtrak another time. Depending on Paul McCartney's tour schedule for this fall, we may travel to see him, and we can work Amtrak into those plans.

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page