RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Yikes, has this ever happened to you?

Author Topic: Yikes, has this ever happened to you?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had monitors go before, but this time, my monitor not only had a rapidly-shrinking-to-disappeared picture (as in the past) BUT it started SMOKING in the rear, very scary to me, and smelled awful. I called for my husband who came and shut everything off; the smoking by then had stopped.

He has decided it was only the monitor and has put another one (and older one we had around the house, on which the text is rather unclear but it is otherwise OK). So hopefully everything will be OK, yes?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My audio/visual support genes are kicking in....

Did it smell like burning rubber? I've had that happen with a series of older CRT monitors. It's a capacitor or something burning out. Once the smoke clears it may run several more weeks without the fried component, but it is definitely time to send the monitor to the recycling station. I suggest getting an LCD monitor to replace it, as they use one-third to one-half the power for a comparable sized screen. It'll give you more desk space, too.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was very smelly--burning rubber, burning carpet, burning cat, whatever that smell is!

I am using another old monitor that seems to be working fine for now, but if I buy a new one I will definitely take your advice and get LCD.

Thanks, Mr. Toy!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page