RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Gunn says he's optimistic Amtrak will avoid shutdown

Author Topic: Gunn says he's optimistic Amtrak will avoid shutdown
Trainsandmore
Member # 896

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainsandmore   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trainsmag.com just reported that Amtrak President and CEO David L. Gunn told the Washington Post that he was optmiistic that the railroad could land a $205 million loan and avert a shutdown in july.

But he made it clear that any shutdown would involve the entire system, not just certain routes or long-distance trains. Gunn told employees that Amtrak would run out of cash by july if it couldn't obtain a loan to tide the railroad over to the beginning of the fiscal year in October.

Despite the talk of a shutdown, Amtrak urged passengers holding reservations beyond July 1 to keep them. Travel agents contacted by Trains didn't report any unusual activituy among clients holding Amtrak reservations for summer travel.

If Amtrak had to shut down, the effects would extend far beyond the lack of intercity rail transportation.

Posts: 136 | From: Biloxi,MS,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gunn doesn't BS, and I think Congress knows it. They'll come through for Amtrak again, and they say, "next year we'll work on an overhaul."

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 06-10-2002).]

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eric:
They'll come through for Amtrak again, and they say, "next year we'll work on an overhaul."

...because 31 years just wasn't enough time!

I am glad Gunn is making it clear that no portion of the system is more sacred than others. All the trains are valuable.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Threat of a shut Shutdown or no threat, I'm buying plenty of tickets for June, July, August and beyond!
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy made a good point, and I'm sure others have the same thoughts. It's great to have a president that still believes in a national system, and Amtrak will hopefully receive more support if they take the focus off of the NEC.
LSL- I hope we all do!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page