RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » TRAXX Club Los Angeles

Author Topic: TRAXX Club Los Angeles
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering where is TRAXX Club at LA Union Station? It listed under the services of the Coast Starlight Sleeper Service access to TRAXX club. The only TRAXX I know of is the restaurant. Wher is the club located , and what are the hours?
Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jarrod
Member # 4318

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jarrod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TRAXX Club is the restaurant. There is a special pre-boarding reception for Sleeper passengers before boarding time!

Jarrod

Posts: 82 | From: San Lorenzo, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you walk into Union Station from Alameda Street, it is on the right near the front. I believe the TRAXX restaurant is across the main waiting room area, isn't it? (I'm speaking based on my memory of our trip last summer)
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the Traxx restaurant is about midway down the waiting room on the left if you enter the station from Alameda Street. It also has a "patio" in front of the door to the restaurant that is still in the waiting room. I believe this part of the Traxx open area is for Coast Starlight passengers.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time rode the Coast Starlight (in June, for the ride over the Tehachapi Loop, the Traxx bar was the first class lounge.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right RR4me - the Traxx bar on the right as you enter is used as the Coast Starlight lounge, open in the morning before the 10:15 departure. They have tables and chairs in and out of the bar area, coffee, juice, morning snacks.

The restaurant itself is on the left, just past the entrance to the now closed former ticket area.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had two very good meals at the Traxx Restaurant. The first time I was there, I was a bit hesitant because it just didn't seem like a place to find good food. But I enjoyed the food and service very much. On National Train Day last year, Union Station was packed, however, the restaurant was not. My group got seated immediately and had a great meal.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Traxx is a very fine, high quality restaurant. Not cheap either, right Smitty?

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely not cheap! And since railfans and cheap kinda go together....maybe that's why it wasn't crowded. [Smile]
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would pay the price to eat at TRAXX sadly it is closed during the times I have been at Union Staiton. They need to expand their hours to serve breakfast lunch and dinner daily if it works.
Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found the TRAXX website.

http://www.traxxrestaurant.com/welcome1.html

It's hard to believe that they have been there for 12 years. It is interesting to note that they can cater in the Ticketing Concourse and also in the Fred Harvey Room.

Maybe when Ms. Vicki and Mr. Art head north next on the Starlight we can have a little dinner in either venue....

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOOPS! Ms. Vicki has pointed out that the Starlight leaves too early for dinner. (Or lunch) Honest, I didn't plan it that way!!

Frank in cloudy and damp SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
But now you owe me a dinner, somewhere, sometime. Actually, we owe you a dinner and will have to set that up between cruises.

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
My new favorite place is The Boathouse at Hendry's Beach. Lunch?

It's owned by the same people who have The FisHouse (Their spelling) on Cabrillo Blvd. which is an easy walk from the station. Go down State (towards Stearn's Wharf), turn left and walk about two blocks. It's on the land side of Cabrillo.

They also own the Crab place out at the end of the wharf. Mostly local seafood.

Frank in sunny and clear SBA

Rick Morris
Member # 5347

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Morris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're righyt, smitty. The place is not cheap at all. But the food looks like a gourmet's dream. Next time I'm im L.A., I'll have to check it out, even if it's for just a drink at the bar.
Posts: 23 | From: Spokane, WA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page