RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Viewliner vs Superliner Coaches

Author Topic: Viewliner vs Superliner Coaches
joefamily
Member # 892

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for joefamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family and I are planning a trip to Massachusetts in August and I was wondering about the difference between the coaches. I've been on the Texas Eagle, Empire Builder, and Coast Starlight. Are the viewliner coaches similar to the superliner? Is the legroom the same. We will be taking the Eagle to CHI then the Lake Shore to Massachusetts. I've looked for pictures of the viewliner coach but can't find any. Thanks.
Posts: 22 | From: Little Rock, AR | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've looked for pictures of the viewliner coach but can't find any. Thanks.[/B]

That's because none exist! The Viewliners were built only as sleepers. What you'll find on eastern long distance trains are Amfleet II coaches. They're similar to the regular Amfleets, except with exit doors at only one end of the car, larger windows, and more legroom than regular coach (probably more like business class).

Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Superliner coaches much better than any of the low-level coaches. The main reason is because you can go downstairs and stand-up for a while. I like to stand at the lower level window.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vthokie wrote: The Viewliners were built only as sleepers

There were 2 Viewliner diners also built as prototypes. I believe one of them is still in service.
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was 1 diner and 1 sleeper that were built as prototypes. I think the prototype sleeper is still used, but for some reason the diner is out of service.
Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll probably find that single level cars, being shorter, don't sway as much as Superliners.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh... but swaying is part of the fun!
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page