RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New and existing equipment questions

Author Topic: New and existing equipment questions
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious about a few things...

#1) What is the status of the midwest high speed network development. Wasn't a contract supposed to be awarded to either Talgo or Adtranz (the two finalists) for new trains? Are the Chicago - Detroit and Chicago - St. Louis routes any closer to seeing 110 mph speeds?

#2) Is there any sign of progress or hope that the rebuilt Rohr/SuperSteel Turboliners will ever enter service?

#3) With the severe sleeper (and diner) shortage, why does Amtrak have so many Heritage sleepers (& diners) sitting in retirement? Is it just the lack of retention toilets? It seems like the car structures last a long time, so unless there's serious fatigue/structural failure, isn't it a relatively simple matter to replace wear items (wheels, trucks, etc.) and keep the cars going? Is it really that expensive to put in retention toilets?

#4) Why is the prototype Viewliner diner out of service?

Here's a good example for question #3 - What was wrong with this car?
http://www.jefflubchanskycpa.com/AMT2446ALTOONAPA-OCT7-00DIGI75.jpg

"AMT 2446 10/6 SLEEPER "CYPRESS GROVE". EX AMT 1166, EX ATSF 3679. BUILT IN 1955 BY ACF. TRUST ME ON THIS, IT'S THE MOST COMFORTABLE SLEEPER I'VE TAKEN.I'D TAKE IT OVER A VIEWLINER OR SUPERLINER ANY DAY. ALTOONA, PA. OCT 7, 2000. UPDATE: OUT OF SERVICE."

[This message has been edited by vthokie (edited 06-11-2002).]

Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page