RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Question/Zephyr

Author Topic: Question/Zephyr
Passenger Rail Fan
Member # 4899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Passenger Rail Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello:
Has any one traveled from Palm Springs to LAUT, bus to Bakersfield and train from Bakersfield to Emeryville. We want to connect with the CZ there and onto Chicago.
Are the "connections" workable? According to the AMTRAK website.
Depart Palm Springs @ 6:07 AM Arrive LAUT @ 9:40am Depart LAUT @ 1:15 pm via bus, arrive Bakersfield @ 3:45 arrive @ Emeryville 9:43 pm.
We would be taking the CZ the next morning.
Any suggestions for a Hotel in Emeryville since we will need to stayover night to ready for 9:10 am departure next morning.
Thanks!
RailFan

Posts: 36 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't answer the Palm Springs portion of your question, but I can answer the rest of it......

The Amtrak Thruway Bus from Los Angeles to Bakersfield is a breeze. They run numerous buses back and forth, all day long, between these two locations. It takes just a little over 2 hours (I-5 out of Los Angeles, over the Grapevine, and onto Hwy 99 into Bakersfield). I'm not a bus person, but this trip seems to go really fast. Just bring a magazine or iPod or something to pass the time, and you'll be there in no time.

The train at BFD (Bakersfield) will wait for the bus---it is a guaranteed connection. I suppose there are far out circumstances where the train would leave if the bus were hours and hours late, but that almost never happens. Last time I heard of that happening was when the Grapevine was closed due to snow, and the other time was when a huge big-rig accident shut down the freeway over the Grapevine. So it would be extremely rare for the bus not to connect with the train.

The San Joaquin train (which takes you from BFD to Emeryville) usually runs on-time. It is a very reliable service, and I have done this many times. There is a very nice cafe car on this train which you will enjoy.

As far as hotels in Emeryville, by far the easiest is the Woodfin Suites Hotel. When you get off the train in Emeryville, look on the opposite side of the platform (opposite from the Amtrak station), and you will see the high-rise Woodfin Suites Hotel. Just take the stairs (or elevator) up and walk over the pedestrian walkway over the tracks, take the stairs (or elevator) back down, walk across the parking lot, and you are there. Total foot travel time is about 3 minutes at most.

Here is the Woodfin website:

http://www.woodfinhotelemeryville.com/

If you are not interested in this hotel, let me know and I can offer other suggestions for you (which would require a taxi ride). But I think this is, by far, your best bet since you need to be close to the Amtrak station. You can even request a train track view if you wish, and watch the other Amtrak and freight trains go by.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do check with Amtrak the morning of your departure from Palm Springs. If the Sunset Limited is running late (a not infrequent occurance), they will bus connecting passengers directly from Palm Springs to Bakersfield to catch the San Joaquin. You will want to be sure that you catch that connection.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you just want to take the CZ from its point of origin, you can also take a train out of Bakersfield up to Sacramento and spend the night there. This still leaves you all the scenic Sierra crossing in the CZ.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not rent a car in Palm Springs, drop it off in L.A. and take the Coast Starlight to Emeryville, stay overnight and take the next day's CZ? This avoids the horrid bus trip, and you will have the best scenery on #14 which is the coastal run north of Ventura. It would be a shame to go to a boring place such as Bakersfield and miss the beauty of the Pacific Ocean. Strongly advise that you book a sleeper on #14, and you will also have access to the Pacific Parlour Car and your meals included.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
royaltrain has a very good idea if you can include it in your budget. Although I would not say the 2+ hour bus ride is horrid---it's just sitting in a seat for a few hours.

But yes, the scenery from Los Angeles to Emeryville takes you up along the beautiful coast of California---you are literally a few feet from the ocean in many places. On the bus/San Joaquin trip, it's rather boring---unless you are into miles and miles and miles of farms.

Good idea RT---It didn't dawn on me because I've taken both routes so many times. The major difference between the two (besides cost) is that the bus/San Joaquin is several HOURS faster than the Coast Starlight. The Starlight takes the long way---you can drive that route in 5 to 6 hours, but by taking the Starlight it's about 12 hours.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur with royaltrain, if you can do that. Otherwise, taking the San Joaquins to Sacramento as suggested by Mr. Harris makes the most sense to me, and as Smitty says, reliability on that route is about as good as you will find on Amtrak. Staying overnight in Sacramento would allow you a little bit of time at the Calif. Rail Museum in Old Town as well, which I always find enjoyable.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page