RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » HHP-8 Sighting

Author Topic: HHP-8 Sighting
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've noticed posts in the past questioning the HHP-8's ability to pull heavy trains, and some people have only seen them pulling short trains, so I just thought I'd mention that the other day I happened to see a single HHP-8 pulling the Silver Meteor. Consist was the following:

1 HHP-8
1 MHC
1 Baggage
1 Heritage Crew Dorm
3 Viewliner Sleeper
1 Heritage Diner
1 Amfleet II Lounge
4 Amfleet II coaches

Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...that's twelve cars. Isn't that train about four cars shorter than in the past? Also, how fast was the train going? What with that 8,000 horsepower to draw on (2,000 more than the E-60, but with less adhesive weight and perhaps less tractive effort?), the loco should be able to handle more than that. To compare the E-60, though...the E-60 was supposed to be the 125-mph locomotive, but truck-hunting problems forced the top speed to drop...so will the HHP-8 be the winner in the long-train/higher-speed quest...?
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it at Metropark, NJ. Not sure what the speed limit is around that curve, but it looked like the train was doing at least 90.
Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vthokie - I don't want to sound ignorant, but I guess I am not familiar with the HHP-8. What kind of loco is that? Does anyone have a picture of one?

[This message has been edited by RRRICH (edited 06-12-2002).]

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time for another lesson on tractive effort vs. horsepower.

Tractive effort starts trains. Horsepower determines how fast they can go.

I don't know offhand if the HHP-8 weighs less than any other four-axle unit. Four-motor units generally weigh about 140 tons. Figure the HHP8 has sophisticated wheelslip control, so maybe it might manage a 40% adhesion factor. THat would give it .4 x 280,000, or 112,000 lbs. of starting tractive effort.

The E60, with six axles, weighs 210 tons. Figure its adhesion factor at 25%, so it can manage 105,000 lbs. starting tractive.

Guess what: that little HHP8 can start anything an E60 can!

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page