RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » RAILROAD VIDEOS

Author Topic: RAILROAD VIDEOS
bill613a
Member # 4264

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill613a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any recommendations for the best rail videos featuring pre-Amtrak passenger operations especially those featuring the Great Northern and Northern Pacific?
Posts: 37 | From: LAKEWOOD, OHIO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pentrex has a video "Early Amtrak Across Wisconsin". It focuses on early Amtrak and its "rainbow consists", but has some pre-Amtrak footage around Wisconsin and Chicago as well.

Here's a preview vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRTIWwoaJb4

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MetSox
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MetSox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two companies that have excellent videos of the streamliner era: Green Frog and Sunday River. Green Frog, www.greenfrog.com, has several programs featuring the 16mm films of Emery Gulash. "Chicago Odyssey, Vol. 1" covers the 50s and (mostly) 60s. There are several sequences along the CB&Q "racetrack" of the Zephyrs, Empire Builder and North Coast Ltd. There's also plenty of Santa Fe action, steam excursions on the Grand Trunk and footage of the North Shore just before it shut down, to name just a few of the subjects covered. Vol. 2 covers the late 60s through the early days of Amtrak and also has some shots of the CTA El. "Top Frog, Vol. 3, Best of Passenger Trains West" has some material from "Chicago Odyssey" but also some nice shots of the CZ in Colorado and Utah, as well as Santa Fe and Union Pacific action. I have a VHS of "Vol. 4, Best of Passenger Trains East" but I didn't see it on the website. Both of these "Top Frog" programs seem to be compiled from most of the other Gulash "Odyssey" programs.

Sunday River Productions, www.SundayRiverProductions.com, has no less than three different videos of the North Coast Ltd. I have two of them, "NCL Crossing Stampede Pass" and "NCL Across the Rockies" (which I like better). Haven't seen the other one, "Bozeman Pass to the Mississippi". Other titles in the Streamliner Series include the Super Chief, Burlington Zephyrs, Rio Grande Zephyr and The (original CP) Canadian. All of these are also very enjoyable. The picture quality from both of these companies are excellent and I highly recommend them to any streamliner entheusiast.

I would also recommend Pentrex's "Union Pacific Streamliner Collection". It covers the enire history of UP passenger trains from the M-10,000 to the "City" Domeliners and also features the Train of Tomorrow and Aerotrain. It even has a collection of UP TV commercials.

Paul, thanks for the link to You Tube. I think I'll try to post some of my own train videos there.

Posts: 49 | From: Brookline, MA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pentrex is the 800 pound gorilla in the world of RR video; yet there are several small operations that produce some amazing stuff as well. I've never had a problem with Pentrex; they ship quickly and accurately. Years ago there was a guy named Charles Smiley who made some interesting "niche" RR videos; I believe he specialized in the old SP, which is why I liked his stuff.
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to check out:

http://www.A-Trains.com/

I know they have some good cab ride DVD sets for the AMTRAK SW Chief and CZ, but I don't know about pre-AMTRAK trains. They may have some........

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page