RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amen to this:

Author Topic: Amen to this:
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minneapolis Star Tribune Letter
03/23/09

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I have posted in other on-line fora on the topic of Midwestern high speed rail, It is high time we got going on this. WI has been talking and talking and discussing this and related topics for over two decades ( in some parts of the State, almost three decades). It is time that we either build the damn thing, or forget it.

As for those who would balk at incrementally upgrading tracks in stead of building something from scratch, I say one has to start somewhere. Might as well upgrade what we already have before building something completely new (and sure to be much more expensive).

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dakguy201
Member # 10360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dakguy201     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The newspaper article notes the Milwaukee used to make the Twin Cities/Milwaukee/Chicago trip in 6 hours and 15 minutes. Today, the same route runs 8:15 on Amtrak. In those days, the top speed was higher, but I suspect that only accounts for a few minutes of the difference.

Amtrak's average speed for the route (417 miles) is 50.5 mph. Without eliminating stops, could this be improved?

Posts: 41 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at the November 1945 Official Guide:

Chicago to St. Paul
Milwaukee Road: fastest train: 6h30m for 410 miles, 7 stops, 63.0 mph
C&NW: fastest train: 6h30m for 396.1 miles, 7 stops, 60.9 mph
CB&Q: fastest train: 6h15m for 427 miles, 8 stops, 68.3 mph

The Milwaukee and C&NW each had one 6h30m train in each direction. The Burlington had two fast trains in each direction, all except one scheduled for 6h30m = 65.7 mph average. I think all these, with the possible exception of the Burlington trains were operated with steam. I believe that th espeed limits were 90 mph or 100 mph at that time.

Pst war and with diesels, the times of all may have been cut slightly through the 1950's, at least.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page