RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Empire Builder to Glacier Park

Author Topic: Empire Builder to Glacier Park
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all!

I've been trying to plan a long distance train trip for about 7 years and this year could very well be the lucky one.

My brother and I are seriously thinking about taking the Empire Builder to Glacier Park in Montana as this is something that would be quite out of the ordinary for us and that is kind of what we are looking for. Something different but fun.

Since it is out of the ordinary, though, we don't have much insight as to what to expect from a trip to a monster national park.

My questions for anyone that knows:
1: What is the best station stop to get off at? West Glacier, East Glacier(will be open when we plan to go), Essex?

2: Where/what are some good places to stay? How far from the station are these places and how do you get there?

3: What are the best activities to do in the park?

4: Do I stand much chance of booking a good place to stay for the end of May or am I better of trying for August? Or next year?

5: What is the weather like in late May or early August?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated. I think the more info I can collect, the better chance I have of putting this trip together. So...please help! [Wink]

--------------------
Heros get remembered, but Legends never die.
Follow your heart and you'll never go wrong.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a three-time Glacier Park visitor, I have a little knowledge here, so:

1. I'd get off the train at East Glacier and spend the night in the Glacier Park Lodge, a short walk away.

2. Many Glacier is another great lodge inside the park. You get there by "jammer" bus or rented car.

3. Granite Park Chalet is a great backcountry chalet from which you can watch grizzly bears and fight off mountain sheep intent on relieving you of your lunch. No automobile access -- you get there by trail, a beautiful one.

If these were normal times I'd tell you to give up the idea of booking for 2009 and wait till January 1 to book for 2010. But the economy is so bad you might be able to score rooms, jammer rides (they are booked months ahead) and a sleeper room on the EB. Start NOW to see what is available.

End of May weather is pretty chilly. August is nice.

The chief park activity is hiking, hiking, hiking and some more hiking. You can also do some fishing, especially in the St. Mary's River.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In late May you run the risk that Going-to-the-Sun Highway and Logan Pass may not be open yet due to lingering snow depth. When they are, the jammer bus tour over the pass is spectacular. Any of the four stations (if you include Whitefish) are wonderful places and it is hard to choose which is best. West Glacier and Whitefish offer a variety of eateries and museums, etc. near the station. Essex and East Glacier are more in the wilderness and the lodges are the main attraction in town. Whitefish is a large station and is the only stop with checked baggage and year around car rentals in the station. Car rentals at other stops may be seasonal. It is about 2 miles from West Glacier station into Apgar, the main village in the park, via road or backwoods paved trail. Public transportation is available into the park from Whitefish, just 20 miles out of the park. If the train is late it will be dark in town anywhere other than Whitefish, which is more of a city with streetlights. Essex is kind of far from anything but Essex, but there is good hiking there and the jammer buses stop there. From Essex you have to go to East or West Glacier to get into the heart of the park by car.

Everything in a Montana town is close to the station and most places will pick you up. The lodges may be pricey, and even the motels in Whitefish tend to be a bit expensive due to the popularity of the area. At Whitefish golf, chairlift rides, and mountain bike trails on Big Mountain Ski Resort are main attractions. If you are into a bit of biking I highly recommend Glacier Cyclery in Whitefish for freshly tuned fine rental bikes and great touring advice for very little money.

If you prefer to hike in beautiful country, you could spend a whole summer hiking in still only see a small part of Glacier. Bears on back trails are a concern. If altitude does not bother you, there are many spectacular hikes above the treeline. East Glacier on the prairie foothills is actually higher altitude than West Glacier in the mountains.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to East Glacier the first weekend of May, 2002.

This is the Lodge Henry referred to { I took this picture from the back door of the Amtrak station}:

-

And this is the motel we stayed at:

-

Being from Houston, the snow was awesome!!!!

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A word of caution. Maybe things have changed, but I hear that Glacier Park Lodge may not be the best place to stay. Beautiful grounds and within walking distance of the Amtrak station. However, I have read that the Glacier Park Lodge is overpriced. Rooms not all that great and the food not so hot. However, I havn't seen recent revues of Glacier Park Lodge..so maybe things are better.

West Glacier, Essex, and Whitefish are my favorites. I especially liked Whitefish and may go back there next year. The Whitefish Amtrak station has a little Great Northern RR Museum within the building.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whitefish/Glacier in August was nice weather, though nights a little cooler than we expected. We didn't do Jammmer tour, but wish we had. If you haven't been to Glacier, plan a lot of time. There are lots of things to see if you enjoy the outdoors and appreciate the lodges built a long time ago.

We were at Big Mountain Resort, now called Whitefish Resort, I think, and while there is lots to do, not all the restaurants are open so you might want a car to go into Whitefish.

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you get off at Essex, you would want to stay at the Izaak Walton Inn, but you had better book that way ahead of time (as well as the Jammer tour, which will pick you up at Izaak Walton)
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Izaak Walton Inn has had summer packages that can include the Jammer Tour and a day of rental car. The Inn has a few rental cars available & if you plan on going anywhere in the park except the Jammer tour, you would need a car. OTOH if you desire to get away from it all (except trains) Essex is great!
You could also "hop" from Inn to inn on the EB if coach space is available. Reserve well ahead of time. Now may even be too late, unless the economy has really messed up people's plans.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page