RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Before it's too late

Author Topic: Before it's too late
CVFAN
Member # 634

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CVFAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone ever thought of creating sections in the forum focused on specific Amtrak trains? I for one make a point to view the Lake Shore and Vermonter roll through western MA. at least once a week. I think it's a good way to appreciate these trains before they become history.
Posts: 32 | From: Florence,MA.USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure any given train would generate enough postings to justify a full section. Maybe regions could be represented.

I also do not beieve trains will become history. This is certainly a critical time for Amtrak, but I am cautiously optimistic.

Consider:

• State gevernments are putting pressure on Washington for more rail options.
  • Amtrak's deadline is slowly trickling into public consciousness. The self-sufficiency deadline comes right at the mid-term elections, so it will likely become a campaign topic. If Bush continues his hard turn to the right it is probable that at least one house of the legislative branch will tilt Democratic. And Democrats tend to be more sympathetic to the needs of Amtrak than Republicans.
  • Even if Amtrak fails to meet the deadline, no major changes are likely to occur before early 2003, when the next congress will go into session. If indeed there is a Democratic majority it will bode well for Amtrak.
  • The ARC report, though highly criticized in some circles, never called for the elimination of Amtrak or any of its routes. It did call for a reliable source of capital funding which is what Amtrak needs most.
  • Even if there is no Democratic majority in 2003, there are still several influential republicans in the Senate who will come to bat for Amtrak. And certainly Tommy Thompson isn't going to sit idly in Bush's cabinet and see all of his hard work get undone.

So don't give up hope.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to agree with Mr. Toy on this one. I know very few agree with me, but I don't see the end of Amtrak at all. Call me an optimist, but I don't think Congress will absolve passenger rail service here.

What will Congress do about the 22 million passengers Amtrak moves each year? Build more highways?

I don't think the rail-riding public will let Amtrak fade quietly into the night. I know I certainly won't!!

When concerning railroads, without Amtrak, America, the "world's best superpower" would become the laughing stock of the world. Many developing world nations have some sort of railroad service, and most industrialized nations have service superior to ours. I doubt American 'pride' will permit us to be completely outdone in this category.

I hope that our politicians, regardless of their affiliation will support Amtrak on this issue. Perhaps a Democrat majority would be better for Amtrak, but I hope the Republicans wouldn't want to alienate so many voters by eliminating service.

So yes, I'm an optimist. Maybe it's all just wishful thinking, but there's always hope! If I'm wrong, I'll just have to become a hobo to get my rail-riding fix.

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CVFAN
Member # 634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CVFAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good to hear optimism when I think we all fear the worst! It just troubles me that the government isn't more supportive of Amtrak and rail travel. Isn't it Bush that claims we are in an energy crisis? It's hard to find transportation that is much more efficient than rail!
Posts: 32 | From: Florence,MA.USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm optimistic, but keep your powder dry! See nationalgeographic.com, N.G. Traveler is surveying its millions of readers as to trains thru taxes; about 85% favor the trains, but these are the enthusiastic ones. If you think it can't happen here, get an old NdeM timetable, old Official Guide, or Thos. Cook's Overseas Timetable, then click on Mexlist.com/pass.htm, or look at the plea from Argentina elsewhere in one of these forums; both of these countries with far fewer autos and good roads than here have lost all their long-distance trains! Hold the politicians' feet to the fire and remind everyone who'll listen for 10 seconds that our roads AND air are overburdened, trains easier on fuel and environment, and let your see your own country up close without hitting somebody else or being crowded like a cattle pen!
Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAChooChoo
Member # 723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAChooChoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One important thing lingering in the background is the cost to dismantle Amtrak - specially labor protection.

The majority of Amtrak corridor operations will remain in some form, what is in danger would be all the overnight trains (except the Twilight Shoreliner) and probably the Pennsylvanian west of Pittsburgh.

Posts: 29 | From: Baltimore MD | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you think is more effective: writing to congressman in support of Amtrak, or getting more folks on board? ("Both" would be ideal).
At present, both of California's senators support Amtrak, so I don't think they would need more convincing. Does it make sense to write to other members of Congress, such as those on key committees that approve transportation funding? I'm not sure how responsive they would be, especially to folks from other states who could not vote for (or against) them.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MPALMER:
Does it make sense to write to other members of Congress, such as those on key committees that approve transportation funding?

According to a recent NARP mailing, it is best to write to your own representatives, who in turn can influence legislators from other districts or states. Those who do not represent your area probably won't pay much attention to you unless they are looking towards a higher office which may require your vote.

Even though your representatives support Amtrak, you should still write to them. The more mail they get the better they can justify their positions.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page