RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » California Zephyr on RFD TV

Author Topic: California Zephyr on RFD TV
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If any of you get RFD TV from your cable or Satellite, they have a nice program on the California Zephyr running on their "Trains and Locomotives" show. They often repeat it, so check the schedule if interested. They have inteview segments with various parties, such as the ex-CEO of WP, conductors, passengers and Zephyrettes! Also lots of film of the trains going through the Rockies and some of the Sierra.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We get something similar in the UK - see link below:

http://www.ruraltv.tv/rural-locomotives.php

I shall keep my eye open for the CZ programme.

Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now why does that channel remind me of thr Wurzels, I wonder?! Thanks for pointing it out, Stephen, it's not one I've come across before on Sky - despite channel hopping from the 25x travel channels through to the 3xx movie channels.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get RFD-TV and used to watch Trains and Locomotives every Sat. at 9 am. Recently, however, I notice it is not shown at that time any more. Does anyone know when the show comes on?
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught the show mentioned at about 6 pm on a weekend.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Their website schedule shows that the program is on at noon EDT on Sat.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoff - I see the programme is listed over the next few days at various times. On the EPG the description is "New York and Long Branch".
Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Stephen, I'll set the Sky+ up to record it.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgive my ignorance, but what is RFD? Is this a cable channel?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they have the channel in south carolina, and if yes what channel.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RFD aka rural farm delivery, some cable companies carry it direct tv does which is how I watch it. With shows like the Georgia Farm Report and Hee Hah I would think this is a required channel south of the Mason Dixon.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of horses, trains, and Don Imus on RFD-TV. I get it on Ch. 345 on my Directv. Watched the CZ episode today, but I had seen it before.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The California Zephyr episode run today on RFD-TV was produced by Rich Luckin of Golden, CO, who has done several other features, including the Super Chief, the D&RGW Ski Train, and the SP Daylight. I believe they're all available on DVD.
Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
I saw the Zephyr episode last night on Rural TV here in the UK and thought it greatly interesting (better than most).

However, the burning question in my mind is why did they discontinue the Zephyrettes when the train was re-instated? Cost grounds I suppose but what a waste of what looked to be a terrific resource.

RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
I would guess the cost, union rules, etc., along with changing views towards what women could/should do in the workplace all contributed to the elimination of Zephyrettes. Remember when flight attendants were stewardesses?

Also, RRRICH, in the TV station's context, RFD means Rural Free Delivery, from way back, when mail first started getting delivered to rural America's individual homes as opposed to town Post Offices, at no extra charge to the homeowners. Remember Mayberry RFD on TV? The TV station has a lot of rural focused shows, some of which I find interesting and my kids find mind-numbingly boring!

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, RR4me -- yes I know what RFD is/was, but I didn't assocaite that with the name of a TV network.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page