RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cascades to Vancouver, BC

Author Topic: Cascades to Vancouver, BC
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All--

We are thinking of flying to Seattle, spending a night, and then taking the train to Vancouver, BC, for a cruise we have booked in September. What is the status of the equipment. The Amtrak website implies that the Talgo equipment is back but the Amtrak/Cascades website says no.

If it's Superliner equipment would there be any reason for paying extra for Business Class?

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank - I have booked our trip in BC for October using AGR points. It is true that they still do not actually have a BC car. I am expecting to have to call and ask for the points to be refunded after the trip. But maybe they will get the equipment going by then.

I have lots of thoughts on where to stay in the two cities. Will share with you as needed.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, still Superliners on the Vancouver train. If they are offering Biz Class, I'm surprised. When they first made the temporary switch to Superliners, they were calling the lower level Coach seats "Business Class". But that did not go over well, and only lasted a week or two.

Maybe they are selling Biz Class because they are anticipating the Talgo to be back in service on that route by then?

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both the Amtrak website and the AGR site are offering BC in late September. Perhaps it will be so.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of last summer, the SEA-VAC train was a Superliner; all other Cascade trains were Talgos.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak keeps promising Business Class sometime in the future, but it never arrives. When I took it last December from Vancouver to Seattle it was supposed to have Business, but it was just a superliner coach and the diner/lounge the so-called diner lite.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We will be taking the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver a week from Saturday. Aaah..the anticipation! After spending two days in Vancouver,including Canada Day July 1, we will be taking a thruway bus to Seattle,spemd a few days there and fly back to Buffalo and transfer over to Depew station where my car will be. We are starting from Buffalo and taking the Maple Leaf to Toronto a day before we depart on the Canadian.

I really wanted to take the train from Vancouver to Seattle,but the only train south leaves too late, arriving in Seattle at 10PM. I really wish there was an earlier train, but we don t want to get to Seattle that late, and then get over to the airport where our hotel is.

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Graynt, Too bad about not taking the train, it is such a VERY nice ride! And this time of year it's light almost all the way. Assuming they have an observation car with the superliner, it doesn't matter where you sit. If they do not, be sure to make them give you a seat right side facing forward.

If the cost of the taxi to the airport hotel is the reason you are going earlier, might you be able to switch to that Best Western Pioneer hotel where we all stay? Then, when you get in to Seattle 10 or 10:30 (train is sometimes a little late), take a cheap little taxi ride over to it--it's pretty close. Then, book the airport shuttle--cheaper than a taxi--to take you from the Best Western Pioneer to the airport to catch your flight next day.

But if you cannot change . . . you will just have to go out again! Maybe on Amtrak instead of VIA . . .

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best Western Pioneer Square may require a 2-night minimum stay.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We checked the prices for the Best Western Pioneer Square and it has become pretty pricey for what it is. At least that was the case on the night we needed. There was no two night minimum but it was for a Sunday in late September.

We were able to get a "crew" rate at the Red Lion on 5th. I'm not sure how we'll get into town since we will have more luggage than is comfortable on the old reliable city bus.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page