RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Rail Safety in the News Again

Author Topic: Rail Safety in the News Again
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not Amtrak of course, but another "human error" accident on the rails:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/18/san.francisco.rail.crash/index.html

There seems to be a rash of accidents lately where the cause relates to poor judgment on the part of the human operators (the recent DC Transit crash excluded).

There's also a story out of New York where an unauthorized person is alleged to have been at the controls of a LIRR train for a significant portion of the run with the knowing permission of the engineer.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dakguy201
Member # 10360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dakguy201     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the CNN article:

"Apparently the conductor for one of the trains miscalculated a turn. It's still under investigation right now," a police officer told CNN. He would not provide his name."

A conductor miscalculated a turn?

Sometimes, you just shake your head.

Posts: 41 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
News media has no clue about railroad operations; they will report anything without any check on their terminology.

Referring to an engineer or a motorman as a "conductor" is just one example. I pointed out in another thread where they refer to a mainline railroad highway crossing as an "intersection"; maybe they expect a four-way stop?

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, it's a direct quote -- a cop called the guy a conductor, not CNN. If authority says something stupid . . .

Reminds me of what the first Mayor Daley's harassed press guy said:

"Don't print what he says! Print what he means!"

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
CNN should have got a more reliable source than a single police officer. A good reporter always gets corroboration; direct quotes in a story like this should only come from "official spokespersons", and I'm sure that cop wasn't one of them though he may have been a witness.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both appear to be "one-car trains". I know on the SF cable cars the operator is called a Conductor, perhaps same holds true for these muni cars.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
The "trains" were, in fact, single-unit Breda-made LRV's (light rail vehicles), similar to street cars. Don't know how these things are manned, but suppose that the operator could be called a conductor. I also note that the media in some reports called him a "driver" and referred to the ATC system as an "autopilot."

--------------------
Ocala Mike

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, if what Mayor Daley meant were written from what I have heard there wold probably have been rioting in the streets
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train Lady, there WAS rioting in the streets in Chicago -- in 1968. Remember what Mayor Daley called Abe Ribicoff from the convention floor? Saw that with my own eyes, and so did other lipreaders.

Ocala Mike, I don't know who said what in that particular accident, but good incident command structure denotes a single spokesman to the media, and perhaps the quote came from the designated horse's mouth. Cops generally know better than to talk to the press outside the command structure.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry I do rememer those rather loud demonstrations in '68 now that you mention it.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page