RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Jobs eliminated after high speed work completed

Author Topic: Jobs eliminated after high speed work completed
stans_railpix
Member # 368

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for stans_railpix   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jobs eliminated after high speed work completed.

1/19/2001 08:14

NEW LONDON, Conn. Amtrak has laid off more than 80 workers in the Northeast, most of them in Connecticut involved in the high-speed electrification projects.

The layoffs announced Thursday affect building, track, bridge,signal and communications workers.
Dozens of Amtrak workers from New Haven, New London and Providence gathered at an Amtrak office to fill out unemployment forms.

In New London, 21 track workers, nine bridge and building workers and up to 25 signal and communication workers are being let go.

Russ Hall, an Amtrak spokesman, said workers had employment options outside New England. He said workers could seek employment in the Northeast Corridor's southern division, which encompasses New York,Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.

Hall said employees were let go because construction of the electrified railroad for the high-speed Acela Express was complete and some jobs are seasonal.

''Historically, during this time of year there are layoffs,'' said Hall. ''We can't do a lot of track work during harsh winters.''

------------------
Stan'S Railpix;-A-Rail-Photo-Gallery !!
http://www.trainweb.com/railpix

Posts: 15 | From: Phila. Penna. USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a laugh. Lay them off when they're needed to redo the PRR end of things?!? Sheesh...

(Yes, I know that my reply is 16 months late, but this caught my eye. More Amtrak waste, it seems to me. Also, it's rather inaccurate to term the project "high-speed" electrification when the trains aren't traveling at high speed; well, I guess it's high speed compared to what the diesels used to do, but to electrify an extremely curvy main line doesn't turn it into a high-speed corridor.)

[This message has been edited by irishchieftain (edited 05-05-2002).]

[This message has been edited by irishchieftain (edited 05-05-2002).]

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page