RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Strange Consist leaving Santa Barbra

Author Topic: Strange Consist leaving Santa Barbra
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was stuck in SBA traffic on the freeway yesterday driving home from an MOCC meet in Marrow Bay, while in traffic I seen a train, it was 2 Genesis and a Dash-8 pushing an Amfleet south, Thats all I could see, I couldnt get the camera out in time tho, anyone know what that was? I tried to follow but traffic wasnt letting me [Frown]

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first thought is someone is taking stock footage for some movie or game project.

Alternately, some form of inspection trip where the brass hat wanted an engineman's view.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldnt see much more, I was stuck in Traffic, Anyone know what that Train Was?

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you saw #799. Yesterday it had 4 Amfleets and 1 Horizon, along with an F40 "cabbage" and two P-42's (unit 140 was on a break-in run out of the shop).

I think the low-level equipment is because of the weird equipment that gets used and moved around during the Del Mar racing season that's going on now (I think I've got that right---can someone down yonder confirm that this is going on now?).

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not "down yonder", but a big horse racing fan. Del Mar opens tomorrow, Wed., 7/22 and runs through Wed., 9/9.

Saratoga, in upstate NY, runs from Wed., 7/29 through Mon., 9/7 (Labor Day).

These meetings are highlights of the midsummer thoroughbred racing season.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember growing up in the San Fernando Valley, and the results of Del Mar races would be broadcast on KNX 1070. The big race each day would be on KNXT, KTLA, and often KTTV.

Right up to A-Day, the ATSF ran specials from LAUPT and San Diego (I've heard, but cannot confirm, even out from San Berdoo) to Del Mar. I was more interested in watching the Daylight or the Canoga Park branch local (that track is now gone btw).

I've heard, even in the 60s, ATSF used HW coaches and lounges to form some of the consists for Del Mar specials.

I do not know if Amtrak did this after A-Day, and for how long the service was suspended.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe you can still see the remnants of the old "racetrack siding" there at Del Mar where I believe ATSF used to shove trains into during these older days. Long since disused, though.
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page