RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » VIA nicer than Amtrak?

Author Topic: VIA nicer than Amtrak?
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.viarail.ca/tourists/en_tour_phot_envo.html

Is it just me, or do the VIA long distance train interiors look considerably nicer than Amtrak's accomodations?

Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

The difference: Amtrak has spent 30 years trying to re-invent the train on a tight budget. Via has spent its time maintaining what it has, which is, after all, the culmination of 150+ years of practical design.

Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been 2 years since I traveled on the Canadien & Skeena. Both trains ran within an hour of schedule for the entire trip. The cars were clean, well maintained & well stocked. I never knew of the crew running out of anything on the entire trip with the exception of the Skeena. The lounge car on the Skeena ran out of sandwiches about halfway to Prince Rupert on the second day out of Prince Goerge. The attendant got off the train at a service station, went to the local grocery store, bought lunch meats & other supplies. The sandwiches he prepared were at least as good as the prepared ones & several passengers commented that they were better.
Every crew member actually seemed to enjoy working the train & took pride in the equipment & services they provided.
I totally enjoyed both of those trains & would urge anyone to experience them for themselves.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Via is by far the better railway, even if it does serve a much smaller population base than Amtrak. I say this not because I am a Canadian, but by any objective standard the Via trains such as the Canadian, Ocean etc. have much superior sleeping cars, lounge and dining cars. If one travels on a North America Rail Pass, which I have done many times, it soon becomes very obvious when one switches between Amtrak and Via that Via far outshines Amtrak with its on-board amenities.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page