RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Houston to Baltimore/DC

Author Topic: Houston to Baltimore/DC
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually take the Crescent on this trip. I need to go late October with accessible room. When would be the best time to book? Any discounts coming up etc?

--------------------
I am in no hurry, so I take the train.

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Book now. If a new discount pops up you can attempt to cancel and re-book, but if someone else takes that accessible room it is gone. Plus, the accommodation charges are probably going to be more than the rail fare and discounts on them are unlikely, unless you get real real close to day of departure and a lot of space is still unsold—possible but unlikely. One nice thing about Amtrak is that you can cancel and get a 90% refund or a 100% voucher up to just seven days before departure, so you're not stuck if your travel plans change late in the game. Book now.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also recommend you book now, as the Crescent only has 2 to 3 viewliners a day, it has the same amount of accessible rooms too. I don't know if they will be running any specials, but I'll post back if they do. Have a nice trip
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone...I have a question that is sort of new/different to me... I have to have a machine to breathe at night or if I fall asleep. I have a medical Rx and note from Dr. When I spoke to the lady on the reservation line she said there was a disabled discount. Well I would like the discount and she wanted to put me in acssesible room. I tried to tell her that I can move around just fine and would not want to take a room clearly needed by a wheelchair bound person etc. But for discount it sounded like I needed this special room.

--------------------

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you and your machine want to squeeze into a Viewliner roomette, you will have to pay the full price for a regular Bedroom if you turn down the accessible accommodations you have been offered. It sounds to me as if you have a legitimate handicap which requires accommodation. Take the accessible bedroom.

BTW, interruption of train-line electrical power does occasionally occur, sometimes for extended periods. Does your machine have a battery backup?

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Eric....no it does not! Thanks so much for the life saving suggestion!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page