RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » And the search for deep pockets continues...

Author Topic: And the search for deep pockets continues...
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just noticed this Google ad playing at the top of a couple of pages:

"Bnsf railroad—Hurt at a railroad crossing or on a train? Talk to an attorney today."

Sigh. Talk about bottom-fishing....

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's funny is that I don't even "see" the ads any more. Not just here, but on almost all web pages....especially when I'm reading web pages of newspapers, radio stations, or TV stations (for news). They are littered with ads, and I think I've just naturally trained my eyes to avoid looking at them. They are definitely not getting their money's worth out of me. [Smile]
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why, smitty, don't you know that you don't have to actually "see" the ads for them to be effective. The advertising industry has perfected secret technology by which the pixels that form the message emit electrical signals that "jump" directly from the screen to the impulsive buying centers of the brain.

You need a special pair of eyeglasses to filter the signals out; I could let you have a pair real cheap!

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And for an extra $9.99 (plus $7 shipping and handling) I'll throw in a customized tin-foil hat!

ETA: Of course, every time someone clicks on one of these ads TrainWeb gets some money (a few cents) and that bottom-fishing lawyer has to pay a few more cents. Being a signatory to the Google AdWords agreement myself (although mostly inactive now), I cannot openly encourage anyone to begin systematically clicking on the more repugnant advertisements that pop up. However, if anyone else has tumbled to a possible strategy of response...well, ain't that just too bad!

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Lordy---is that what's been happening to me???
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what was on the top of this page as I read your remarks:

Masry & Vititoe
Firm Depicted In Erin Brockovich Metrolink Train Crash Lawyers
www.masryvititoe.com

Good grief. Bringing in the sainted name of Erin Brockovich to tempt us.

And now we know what has happened to Smitty's mind.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page