RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » tours of 30th St Station?

Author Topic: tours of 30th St Station?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if there is a person or organization who regularly gives little walking tours of Philadelphia's 30th St Station? I know I can take a self-guided tour; have done so. But I was wondering about a guided tour.I have taken the Wednesday tour of Grand Central Terminal in NYC and really liked it and thought I might do the same between trains in Philly, if there were such a tour and it were at a convenient time and day. However, I could not find any information about such a tour. I checked the special website for the station (non-Amtrak affiliated web site, I mean) and found nothing; I also tried phoning the station number, but I was switched over to Julie even though I dialed a number with a Philly area code. I tried doing a google search of tour and walking tour along with 30th Street Station and Philadelphia but nothing turned up. Yet I know once when I was waiting there I saw someone giving a tour.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Philadelphia, and I'm not aware of any tours offered on a regular basis. You might check with the American Institute of Architects. They're headquartered in Philadelphia, and they give architectural tours, so it's possible they may include 30th Street Station on one of them.

It is indeed a wonderful building. I always stop for a moment at the War Memorial Statue when I'm passing through. I try to imagine any modern corporation doing what the Pennsylvania Railroad did for its employees who gave their lives in World War II.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MetSox
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MetSox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest contacting SEPTA, the local transit authority: 215-580-7800; www.septa.org. I also looked under Railfan Links on Trainweb to see if there were any Phila based railfan organizations but didn't see anything. Perhaps a local chapter of NRHS or city tourist office would have some info.

RRESOR is right, it really is a great building but the layout is relatively simple. Don't miss the upper level where the commuter trains stop, if nothing else for the classic steel & glass canopies. If you're photographically inclined the parking lot just north of the station has a nice view of the lower level (Amtrak & NJ Transit) approach tracks.

Philly also has a great variety of of subways, trolleys and an interurban line. My favorite "circle" trip is to take the R6 to the Norristown Transit Center, then head back downtown taking Line 100 to 69 St. and the Market-Frankford El. The PATCO train over the Ben Franklin Bridge is also a really nice ride. You can connect to NJT's Diesel "River Line" at Broadway and the train to Atlantic City at Lindenwold.

P.S. You won't find better front-facing "railfan" seats than the ones on the El and PATCO trains.

Posts: 49 | From: Brookline, MA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page