RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Surfliner LAX to SBA

Author Topic: Surfliner LAX to SBA
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We took a 40 minute trip on the bus to LA Union Station from the Artesia Transit Center. Once at Union Station we obtained coffee to go with our fritters from the donut shop. Scanning the ticket receipt in the Quik Trax machine worked great, four tickets popped out.

The lounge area for the Starlight was being set up at the Traxx Bar. It was to open at 8:45. The outside area of the restaurant was also set up with dining type tables for the expected crowd. A hand written large sign was present with some info about the train, the Red Cap availability, the time of boarding. The sign also listed the movies that would be shown in the Pacific Parlour Car.

Very few people boarded our 9:05 Surfliner and we took lower level seats. Left on time. We were told there would be random ID checks but I didn’t see any. There were only three other people in our area but one made or received phone calls via his Blue Tooth on a continual basis. Consequently I know all about him now. Happily he departed at Van Nuys.

The conductor made quite a few announcements about possible brief delays but it turned out we did not have to pull onto any sidings or do any waiting so we arrived right on time.

Frank and Norm met us at the Carpinteria Station, a nice stop by the side of the road. We visited the Salt Marsh and then had burgers at The Spot. Quite good. #14 went by with no PPC despite the list of movies at LAX. Then we visited the bluffs and Rincon Beach area. We traveled up to SBA to their house to see the nice remodel.

Then we tried to go to the SBA bird refuge but got stuck in a traffic jam worse than any we get at home in the big town. We picked up Subway sandwiches to eat on the train home. Our 4:30 Surfliner was one of the low level trains and there was a moderate number of passengers.

The homeless were here and there. Some were at the station (with dog), some on the lovely grass park along the beach. An old SP private car is parked in the SBA station but not open to examine inside. The area under the fig tree was clear. The tourists were out in force, even on a Tuesday. Fiesta time was about to begin per Frank.

That traffic jam was still present as we went by on the train and the 101 highway didn't look so hot either. There was much less announcing of what was happening by this conductor. The window was very dirty and scratched. Glad I didn't want to take any pictures. The crew was very friendly as they always seem to be on the Surfliner.

NB we had a nice clean toilet but SB there was water and paper all over the floor and the toilet seat; the toilet was not really usable, at least for a female. The next car had an adequate toilet to use. And it is evident why it takes two hours to go north and three hours to go south. We had to do a lot of waiting for other trains. But we did arrive home on time and only had to wait about 10 minutes for a bus back to Artesia Transit Center.

We had a great trip and a very pleasant visit with our friends. It was our wedding anniversary and my husband treated me to three meals out. And of course, I got a train trip. What a guy! We also got a nice card from Frank and Norm.

Next trip, the Starlight LAX to SEA in October. That PPC better be there.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good to see people like you are making the most of Amtrak's ever expanding California services! 25 years ago I don't think a trip like that was possible.

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki--

The only thing missing from your report is home much fun we had seeing you two again! And you forgot to mention the "Naked Ladies" we saw while in the traffic by the Bird Refuge!

Frank in Sunny SBA! Viva la Fiesta!!

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like great fun (except for the toilets).

I did not know there was a bird refuge in SBA; yet another thing to do and see!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner--

Here's a link to the Wikipedia description of the Bird Refuge:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andree_Clark_Bird_Refuge

What it doesn't mention is that the Clark Estate across the road is kept in "move in" condition although nobody has lived there for more than 30 years. It sits on what may well be one of the most valuable pieces of property in the city. The only neighbors are very quiet. (Santa Barbara Cemetery.)

And it's on the slopes of the Clark Estate (The name I couldn't remember, Vicki!) where we spotted the "Naked Ladies"!!

Frank in sunny SBA

BTW the next property down the coast after the cemetery belongs to Beanie Babie Mogul Ty Warner. It's gorgeous and can be seen from the public walkway that he paid for in front of the house. He has been very good to this city although he prefers to keep his philanthropy low key.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sbalax: Isn't this the season for naked ladies in Santa Barbara and elsewhere in Southern California?

I've heard reports from other places of naked ladies being spotted in back yards and even some front yards.

My sister even spotted a group in Missouri.

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are only two (through) tracks at SBA. Where did they park the private car you reported? Do you mean on the siding several blocks south of the station?
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
They are everywhere!! Scandalous!! Those spotted by us were right next to a heavily travelled street. There were hundreds of them!!

Frank in dark and cool SBA with the sounds of "Las Noches de Ronda" coming up the hill from the Courthouse.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pismobum:
There are only two (through) tracks at SBA. Where did they park the private car you reported? Do you mean on the siding several blocks south of the station?

The PV is actually isolated by itself and had to be trucked in. It's on semi-permanent display from what I understand. I haven't seen it in-person, but maybe Vicki or Frank can confirm that it's sort of in the parking lot near the big tree?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
It's on a "siding" next to the Moreton Bay Fig that, as far as I know, has always been there. It goes nowhere, however. The plaque refers to two sidings and there may be been two (or more) at one point. The ultra swank Potter Hotel was on the beach just the other side of the tracks. One of the paths in the restored station grounds leads in that direction. And, yes, the car was trucked up from Santa Paula.

My understanding is that the interior restoration is a "work in progress" but there is no plan to open it to the general public because of accessibility issues. And probably liability. My fear is that the car will become a target for taggers as the small railroad utility building across from the station has.

I've got to try to figure out how to post a picture here. I took a couple when we were down there on Tuesday.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page