RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Day trip from LA?

Author Topic: Day trip from LA?
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems my planned overnight trip won't happen - it's just too much for a wife and what-will-be a 22-month-old complete with luggage.

So instead, to appease my train lust, is to try to convince them to go on a day trip from LA (we're staying with friends in San Dimas). Question is where: south to San Diego (been there myself; not so the wife); north to Santa Barbara; east to ??; or where?

2-3 hours travelling time each way max, something family-oriented.

Many thanks.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't go wrong with either direction. The Surfliner to San Diego has many great ocean views, as well as the northbound to Santa Barbara. An almost two year old probably will not appreciate the family oriented things to do in San Diego like Sea World or the Zoo, but either way will get you great scenery and a nice train ride. Also, there are several depatures during the day both ways. You may want to take the Coast Starlight to Santa Barbara and a Surfliner back.

Eastbound will get you to Palm Springs on the Sunset,but that train only runs three days a week, and there is only one departure,plus the Palm springs station is not downtown. Going West..well, you'd be in the Ocean. Of course if you want to take a boat,the cruise to Catalina is nice,too from LA and Long Beach.

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going West would also take you to Santa Barbara! (Well, mostly West and a bit North.)

This is a coin toss to me. Both trips would be fun with great ocean/beach views along the way. There are also lots of things to do/places to eat within walking distance at both destinations.

If you do come up to Santa Barbara remember that the 4:30PM return will be on the older, single level cars. I was reminded of that when we took Vicki and Art to catch their train. The equipment looks pretty dismal on the outside, but can't speak about the interior.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoff,

Great Grandma to a 19 month old here. At that age you can hardly go wrong with a Zoo. San Deigo has one of the best I have ever visited (and I have been to many). At that age it is probably best to not try a marathon (we have to see it all in one day). Go online and pick what you feel will most interest your toddler (and be sure to include something that the adults really what to see also). Keep it simple -- keep it fun.
Be sure to rent one of the strollers - toddlers little legs give out quickly. (Available right inside the entrance gate.)

The train ride is special. I made the trip southbound at sunset. What a spectacular view - watching the sun set into the Pacific ocean.

Dee

Just an added note - Sea World in San Diego and Disney in Anaheim are both geared to children a little older than toddlers in my opinion.

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Santa Barbara has a very fine smaller zoo. It would perhaps not be as daunting as the San Diego Zoo.

http://www.santabarbarazoo.org/facts.asp

If you read the history part you'll discover that at least one Santa Barbaran welcomed the "knights of the road". A bit different than today's homeless but still a nice solution to a problem.

We also have a carousel that pleases children of all ages. It's in Chase Palm Park about a quarter of the way down East Cabrillo Boulevard from State Street on the way to the Zoo.

The 25 cent electric shuttle would be the best way to get to the Zoo.

Frank in cool and overcast SBA Viva la Fiesta!

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would recommend Santa Barbara too. The train is right in town, there is easy transportation. The weather is great. The zoo/carousel idea is super!

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good transit connections in either city for the respective zoos.

You could also consider Metrolink train from Pomona or Covina to get to LAUS.

I think I would lean toward Santa Barbara since the 25 cent trolley will take you anywhere you want to go.

I have ridden the 4:30 departure from SBA. It is old equipment as noted, but OK inside.

Have a great trip.

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From San Dimas 2-3 hour max trip is almost impossible for either SBA or SAN. SBA-LAX almost 3 hours, and you aren't starting at LAX. LAX-SAN almost 2 hours, and again you've gotta get to LA. How about Metrolink SanDimas to LA, do whatever in LA (subway connection right in station) and return Metrolink to Riverside then San Bernardino and back to San Dimas. That might get you your 'train fix' without a very long day and a cranky toddler and a slightly crankier spouse! (And if the LA portion gets drug out, just skip Riverside and go direct LAX-San Dimas on the way back.
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, the 2-3 hours referred to starting at LAUS but it is a fair point it'll take another 45 minutes via Metrolink from Pomona North, if I remember correctly.

He does seem to like zoos so that's definitely an option. I think maybe SBA would be a very slightly better bet as I've not been there before and sounds like a good place.

I'm not bothered about the Disney and Universal stuff - after LA we're flying to MCO/Orlando on a red-eye for a week with the rest of my family doing the usual (shudder) stuff.

Out of interest - I don't plan on doing this on this trip - but what's Tijuana like, over from San Diego? Tourist hell?

Many thanks for your suggestions.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in Tijuana once and I asked a cab driver to show me the real Tijuana. He drove up into the hillsides and showed me ghettos I'll not soon forget.

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
I would pass on Tijuana.

Frank in sunny SBA

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't a child just like going to the beach/coast too? Much more accessible in Santa Barbara; and there is the wharf too. . .
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

He does - so SBA has better beaches/boardwalks/whatevers? I know San Diego has its docks but I didn't really notice whether any beaches were accessible.

I'll avoid Tijuana then!

Thanks again.

--------------------
Geoff M.

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the beaches in San Diego are not at all near the train station. The Zoo is some distance too--up in Balboa Park. I think given your time parameters, Santa Barbara would be easier. But I'm no expert; what do Frank, Smitty, and all the other Californians say about this?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could also take the Pacific Surfliner or Metrolink to San Clemente Beach and spend the day there....... (plus you could watch trains while the young'uns frolic in the sand!)
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Hmm, that's an idea.

--------------------
Geoff M.

railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch schedule carefully in San Clemente. Amtak and Metrolink do not stop at the same place. Amtrak stops right at the pier and only steps to the beach with lots of shops, etc. nearby. But only one or two trains a day in each direction.

Metrolink stops a couple miles north of the pier. I think there is a beach nearby, but not too many places for eating, shopping, etc. Since your trip would be opposite the commuter direction, service is limited.

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Ok, noted thanks.

--------------------
Geoff M.

mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a fellow Brit I can heartily recommend Santa Barbara from a British perspective. The station is in a very convenient location for shops, beach, boardwalk and harbour and although not bursting with trains the frequency is sufficient to give you choices. There used to be an excellent restaurant on Stearn's Wharf - was it called "Monks"? (haven't been there since 2006)and an excellent bars in the streets between the station and the seafront.
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Mr. W--

No "Monks". Perhaps you're thinking of Moby Dick? Sadly, Al Steinman who owned it sold it and then passed away. It is a shadow of what was a great place with a great view. All of the Santa Barbara photos are gone from the walls and the Sinatra music that Al loved no longer plays.

Frank in warm and sunny SBA

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also likely to be of interest to you if you go to Santa Barbara: You will go through the point where the Chatsworth collision occurred.

To help you not miss it:

Mileposts decrease from Los Angeles northward toward San Diego:

I do not have my ETT's of the area at hand so I cannot give you what the milepost would be for LA Union Station, but do have a couple in pdf format in my computer.

Here is what should help you find the Chatsworth accident:

Take LAUS milepost as being at 483
462.6 Burbank Jct.
460.6 Burbank Airport
455.0 Van Nuys
453.1 CP Rayner - end double track
449.3 Northridge
446.8 CP Bernson - begin siding through Chatsworth
445.5 Chatsworth
444.4 CP Topanga - end siding through Chatsworth
----- Wreck location just north of CP Topanga
437.9 Simi Valley
427.1 Moorpark
426.4 Los Poses Metrolink milepost - end Metrolink ownership, same point as UP 423.1
----- milepost equation, gap of 3.3 miles
423.1 Los Poses Union Pacific milepost -begin UPRR ownership, same point as ML 426.4
367.4 Santa Barbara

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George, I thought of that as we went through the tunnel the other day. Then I banished it from my mind.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much left to see at the spot; I went by there (Chatsworth wreck location) a couple of weeks ago and other than a couple of industrial dumpsters and a big oil spot on the ground-- it is all cleaned up.
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoff: I sent you some information in an email just after my post yesterday. It had a fairly big attachment. Did you get it?
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
Mr. W--

No "Monks". Perhaps you're thinking of Moby Dick? Sadly, Al Steinman who owned it sold it and then passed away. It is a shadow of what was a great place with a great view. All of the Santa Barbara photos are gone from the walls and the Sinatra music that Al loved no longer plays.

Frank in warm and sunny SBA

Thanks Frank - it probably was Moby Dick I was thinking of - knew it began with "M" - it was the one with a photo of the owner shaking hands with Bill Clinton, right? He visited after it was Stearn's Wharf was damaged by fire in the 1990's?

Super place, sorry to hear it is no more. I once had the most enormous, succulant lobster there and it only cost about $17 including starter & accompaniments...feeling hungry now...

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overnight trip too much for a 22 month old?

My first train trip was from Chicago to Portland on the then all new Superliner Empire Builder back in 1980. How old was I, try 7 months [Wink]

-

Show them this photo if you have trouble convincing for that longer train trip.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

George: I've been away on a rail contract in Oslo (Norway) all week and haven't caught up with my emails yet - I do know it's in there, just didn't try to open it on an iPhone whilst roaming! Many thanks and I'll try to read it in the next day or two.

SWC: Not so much the convincing of doing it - in fact SWMBO had already agreed to a trip, but time dictated otherwise. A day trip was the compromise! (Out of interest I just looked up a family bedroom to Oakland in mid/late-October, US$164 for the return which is pretty cheap. US$255 for the outbound though. Add US$55 per adult for base fare).

Others: Thanks for the tips.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page