RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » 2nd Vancouver Train

Author Topic: 2nd Vancouver Train
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The press release on the start of the 2nd Vancouver Train

Good news, but 6:40am southbound departure isn't on my schedule.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A new Amtrak train, and an international one to boot. Good news! Odd schedule though.

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if anyone finds themselves jaunting b/t SEA-VAN or visa versa, the cruise lines have a lot of 1-nighters between the two ports in September. A good chance to Rail and Sail!

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good to get confirmation of the Talgos being back in service. I'm going to make our reservations tonight for Monday, 28 September. We will take the first train from SEA to Vancouver before boarding Celebrity Millennium for a 12 night "Wine Cruise" to Los Angeles.

Frank in cool and clear SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12 Nights from Vancouver to Los Angeles? Does it stop at every vineyard?

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If arriving in Vancouver by train, is it possible to use the US Direct service offered by Canadian immigration for cruise passengers arriving by air, or do you have to officially "land" in Canada?

What is the cab fare or public transportation from train station to cruise ships?

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by railrev:

Imagine if it were 12 nights aboard a train. You wouldn't need a vineyard at all to feel a little loopy!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

There are port calls at Nanaimo, Victoria, Seattle, Astoria, San Francisco (two days with an overnight), Monterey, and Catalina Island (Yes, there is a vineyard there!). This is actually a glorified repositioning cruise.

I'm not sure how customs/immigration works on the train. Any answers out there?

I know that we do have to go through the process since we will be in Canada for three days. We will also have to go through US customs and immigration in Seattle. We've been warned that it can be a long process and to take everything we want for the day with us since nobody will be let back on the ship until everyone is cleared.

I believe "US Direct" only works if you are not going to have any Canadian ports after leaving Vancouver.

The last time we took a cab from the airport to Canada Place I think we paid about $25.00. I would expect it would be less from the train station. We are sailing from the Ballantyne Docks this time.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
quote:

There are port calls at Nanaimo, Victoria, Seattle, Astoria, San Francisco (two days with an overnight), Monterey, and Catalina Island (Yes, there is a vineyard there!). This is actually a glorified repositioning cruise.

I'm not sure how customs/immigration works on the train. Any answers out there?

I know that we do have to go through the process since we will be in Canada for three days. We will also have to go through US customs and immigration in Seattle. We've been warned that it can be a long process and to take everything we want for the day with us since nobody will be let back on the ship until everyone is cleared.

I believe "US Direct" only works if you are not going to have any Canadian ports after leaving Vancouver.

The last time we took a cab from the airport to Canada Place I think we paid about $25.00. I would expect it would be less from the train station. We are sailing from the Ballantyne Docks this time.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

On the s/b Talgo U.S. Immigration takes place in the Vancouver railway station, and customs takes place at the border where agents board the train to gather your customs declarations and possibly do further inspections. I could never understand why both customs and immigration is not handled at the same time in Vancouver. N/b the Talgo inspection takes place again at the Vancouver railway station. Both Canadian customs and immigration are carried out by the same person which is certainly more efficient.

I am a little confused about the customs inspections on your ship. A few years ago I sailed on the QE2 from Quebec City to New York, and immigration was done on-board the ship. You simply presented yourself to the U.S. officials when it was convenient for the passenger and it was not necessary to stand in a line. As for coming back to the ship, I would be surprised that you couldn't re-board at once since everyone should have been cleared by that time. I certainly found that to be the case when I re-boarded the QE2 at various ports.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
I thought this would be taken care of onboard as well. That's what happened when we sailed last year from Ensenada, Mexico to Hawai'i. Immigration came on board after we were in position off of Lahaina. It took several hours but then we were free to come and go.

Once we are cleared in Seattle there will be no further processing. In Seattle we are told that, say, if you are cleared early and then want to go back on board before processing of everyone is completed you will not be allowed to. So, the advice is to take medications, cameras, money, etc. that might be needed for the first part of the day ashore.

Do you have any idea of how long NB customs/immigration takes at the train station? We are due to arrive at 11:35AM and would like to be on the ship by 2:00PM. Sailing is at 5:00PM.

Frank in cool, foggy and dark SBA

dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I do remember is that those of us that were booked in Business Class on the NB Cascades were allowed off of the train first and processed through Customs first, while the rest watched us walk by from their window seats.

--------------------

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I took the Cascade to Vancouver from Seattle last year. After disembarking from the train, you stand in line for Canadian Customs, but the line moved pretty fast, and the "inspection" itself was basically the Canadian customs official taking your declaration forms you filled out onboard the train, looking at your passports, then letting you proceed into the VAC station -- no big deal. It took maybe 1/2 hour at the most from disembarking from the train to going into the station.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
My wife and I took the Cascade to Vancouver from Seattle last year. After disembarking from the train, you stand in line for Canadian Customs, but the line moved pretty fast, and the "inspection" itself was basically the Canadian customs official taking your declaration forms you filled out onboard the train, looking at your passports, then letting you proceed into the VAC station -- no big deal. It took maybe 1/2 hour at the most from disembarking from the train to going into the station.

We had the same experience - except maybe quicker. I don't recall even coming to a full stop at the customs inspection in the station. But I do remember the Canadian customs were very serious about their jobs. Not a good time to joke. That convenience alone is worth the price of business class.

Returning was even easier - US customs briefly stopped at our table in the diner - I didn't miss a bite.

I did hear a rumor that the diner may not be there - maybe just the new train - but it was one of the highlights of the trip. Hope that is just a rumor.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the Amtrak web site, the new Vancouver train does not have a dining car.

I also noticed the SEA-VAC fare is less on the new train.

--------------------

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the other posters, that Canadian customs and immigration went very quickly. If Business class is available, make sure to book it as you will be through immigration even quicker.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
I booked us in Business Class. It was only 1500 AGR points each.

I picked up my ticket today. The machine wouldn't issue it. I'm thinking that's either because it's an AGR ticket or because it's an "International" ticket. Since it was two separate reservations (from two separate AGR accounts) Norm will have to go down on his own to get his.

If there is no diner will there be a snack car?

Thanks for all of the input.

While I was there I watch a very full Surfliner empty out.

Frank in Sunny SBA

dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
The new Vancouver train will have a cafe car.

--------------------

dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Frank (sbalax) pls check your Private Messages. Thnx.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page