RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Named Surfliner coaches.

Author Topic: Named Surfliner coaches.
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I was at SBA today picking up a ticket a NB Surfliner came in. I don't think I've ever noticed names on the coach cars. Have I just been oblivious or is this something new?

They were Cabrillo Beach, Redondo Beach (Ms. Vicki's private car no doubt) and Seal Beach.

The PBC car was nameless as was the coach/baggage.

Frank in Sunny SBA

BTW On my uneventful LAX-SBA trip on Wednesday the PBC was one that has not yet been redone. It still had the TV monitors and the arm rests that have all the padding squeezed out of them. It was about 85% full and I sat in seat 27. It and its mate 28 have limited recline because of the set of four seats with a table behind. Avoid these seats!!

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's a PBC car?

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PBC car = Pacific Business Class (reserved) on the CalTrans financed Pacific Surfliners.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right Frank-- "beach names" have been attached, it appears, to the Surf coaches that have been spruced up-- that have reupholstery (a firmer seat foam which I like) and some other updates. I rode in the "Manhattan Beach" last week...another good tip is find the Superliner car in (most) Surfliner consists and ride there; remember the crews generally don't open the Superliner door at stops. So essentially you are in a long haul car that's been paint-matched to the standard Surfliners...
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The crews on my last two trips referred to that as "The Dark Car" since the window tinting is so dark. They also announced that passengers in that car would have to go forward or back one car to get off the train.

I thought there was only one of those in one of the trainsets but it sounds as if there must be more. The one I've seen is not in a Surfliner paint scheme.

Frank in sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
named surfs
http://www.on-track-on-line.com/amtkrinf-pacsurfnames.shtml

Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Very cool, Pismobum.

I wish they had stuck with "Shoreline Park" since that is local for us Santa Barbarians.

Frank in dark and cool and foggy SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page