RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Make-Believe Trip Report - Pt. 2

Author Topic: Make-Believe Trip Report - Pt. 2
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woody knocked on my door about 1:00 PM. The circus train was pulling into Alexandria Yard. I stretched and got dressed. I didn't want to leave my luxurious sleeping car bedroom. I never knew circus train accomodations were so fancy. And I guess it's true - the thinnest slice is the best way to enjoy luxury.

Bulk appeared from his bedroom. He looked well-rested. I explained to him that we could catch the Metro the rest of the way into DC. The circus train came to stop. On my way down the vestibule stairs I pressed a crisp one dollar bill into Woody's palm. At first, he heaped thanks on me, but when I got on the ground he started snarling some kind of angry frontier jibberish. I walked away. Bulk asked me. "What'd you give him?" "A buck" I replied.
Bulk said he would have given more, but he didn't have any money. All he was wearing were his star spangled shorts.

So there I was, walking through a freight yard in the hot midday sun with a broke wrestling guy. The Braddock Metro station was a couple a hundred yards away. I was looking forward to getting to Union Station and continuing on my way to NYC.

I paid Bulk's Metro fare. He was headed to a hotel in Georgetown. Before we parted ways I agreed to check out his web page. I felt like I was losing a good friend. Washington was busy. The Metro was crowded. Soon I was at Union Station. The first chapter in my journey was through.

I went to the ticket window to see if my Salisbury - NYC ticket would be honored even though I didn't ride the Crescent to DC. The agent took my tickets and typed in my res number. "Well," he said, "since the Cresecent was running so late the Washington - New York portion of your trip was upgraded to Acela Express First Class." It was great news! The agent typed a few more things into his computer and handed me back my adjusted ticket. "You're on the four o'clock Acela Express, train 2172. It leaves in 40 minutes," the agent said. I'd be in NYC in time for a late supper.

It just so happened that the American Banker's Association was holding a raffle at Union Station that afternoon. Feeling lucky, I bought a ticket. The prize was $100,000.

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story. Keep writing. I can't wait to see if he wins the 100,000 dollars.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page