RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Make-Believe - Part 3

Author Topic: Make-Believe - Part 3
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The raffle drawing was scheduled to take place at 3:50 PM. My Acela was at four. I went to B. Dalton Bookseller to pass the time. I found a well-stocked transportation shelf. There were many books about railroads. One of them was by a gentleman named Henry Kisor. It seemed like it would be a good accompaniment to my cross-country journey. I brought it up to the cashier and paid for it.

It was time for the raffle. A sizeable crowd had gathered. A banker dressed like the Monopoly man walked up to the podium. He said, "And now, the American Bankers Association will draw the winning raffle ticket and award the prize money." The man then cranked the handle of the cylindrical raffle ticket holder. All the tickets flew in different directions inside the clear case. The moment was at hand. The man opened up a door on the case and pulled out one lone stub. "The winning raffle number is 218511!" I looked at my stub. It was 218511.

When you win a large sum of money, it takes your breath away. You feel excited, elated - yet you also feel some doubt. Surely there must be a mistake, you think. Next, you begin listing in your mind all the people you have to call and brag to. Then you feel fear. Somebody might try and take what you've won. I quickly stammered out, "I-I believe I have the winning ticket!"

"Well, come up on stage and let's see if you do." I guarded my ticket in my palm as I pressed through the crowd towards the podium. I handed the man my ticket. "218511" he said. "Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!" A police officer with a gun handed me a satchel. Inside the satchel was $100,000 cash. Camera flashes popped off all around. People asked me my name. I made a brief speech.

I wondered. Should I catch the four o'clock Acela Express, or stay here and buy everyone a latte? I decided to catch the train. The policeman accompanied me, just to make sure nobody tried to grab the satchel. We just made highball. The Acela Express glided down the platform and onto the mainline. Sitting in my First Class seat, I peeked in the satchel. It was mine, all mine!

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice one dude. I agree with the thought of when you win that type of money.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page