RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Venting ?

Author Topic: Venting ?
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am aboard the Zephyr between GSC and Grand Jct. We were delayed about 45 min at the entrance to the Moffet Tunnel. The reason given was that they were having a problem venting the tunnel after a freight had passed through.
Is this a common problem ? Are the fumes given off by a train that dangerous to require a complete venting of the tunnel before another train can pass ?

Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that they have an enormous exhaust system inside that tunnel, and they do have some sort of method of measuring the gases inside it. The crews that work that area have SCBA units inside the locomotive (or they are placed along the walls of the tunnel...I forget which) just in case the train dies while they are in it. So I suppose that it is possible to have an equipment malfunction which could delay you in entering the tunnel.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the east end of the tunnel there is a door which comes down after a train has passed. Then the fans start but I don't know if they suck or blow. I recall they operate for a good 10 minutes or maybe even more. It means the headway (time between trains running on high green signals) is a good half hour on average.

UP apparently have 3 SCBA units onbord their locomotives - 2 for the crew and one spare. BNSF have a dispensing machine which would suggest each person is responsible for their own equipment. Maybe there are some distributed in the tunnel as well - in the emergency recesses I would guess.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RussM:
Is this a common problem ? Are the fumes given off by a train that dangerous to require a complete venting of the tunnel before another train can pass ?

There are several Freight and Coal trains that pass through the tunnel every day. Depending on how late the Zephyr is it can reach the tunnel just after a freight passes through. So, is it common, well it's hard to say but it does happen. I've been on the Zephyr when a freight broke down in the tunnel and we were also late so we sat at Fraser for 2 hours. Amtrak let us get off the train and some even went into town to shop and stretch their legs until we were clear to move forward through the tunnel.

Yes, the fumes are dangerous which is why once the train enters the tunnel you are not to pass between cars. This is to keep the fumes from entering into the train. A few years back on the Ski Train a door didn't get closed cleanly and that small crack caused allot of folks to start coughing from the diesel emissions that we were now breathing. By the time we exited the tunnel I had black diesel soot in my nose; enough that when I blew my nose it left black marks on my handkerchief; that was just a small crack in one doorway and after they had allowed the fans time to blow out the diesel dangerous emissions.

Without this process you might as well be sucking on a diesel exhaust pipe for 10+ minutes.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 256 | From: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I worked up there in that division during the time the old Desert Wind (35/36) sent a through sleeper and coach to CHI on the rear of the main Zephyr, after the big switch move in SLC where the 3 trains came together to go east, the TAs were required to shut down the individual car's outside air blower system while in the Tunnel, and not allow psgrs. to go between cars through the end doors. Worked pretty well-- still some fumes would get inside, but nowhere near as much as if a side door were open or the main blowers were still running. Always a little eerie inside that mountain, with all those tons of rock above you and a pretty high altitude, to boot. It was always nice to breach the opposite Portal, and get back into the fresh mountain air.
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page