RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Make-Believe - Part 6

Author Topic: Make-Believe - Part 6
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vinjay was from Thailand. I asked him how his shift was going. "All in a days work," he replied. It turned out that Vinjay spoke in cliches. "Every day I'm out here chasing after the almighty dollar," he added. I told him about how I'd just won $100,000. He told me about a Nigerian cabbie who recently hit the lottery.

"That is as luck would have it," Vinjay mused. "Everyone is winning money. They are hitting pay dirt, lock, stock, and barrel. I wouldn't wait with baited breath for such luck to come to me. I just knuckle down and keep on working, like it or lump it." The cab zig-zagged up the avenue. Vinjay liked to change lanes frequently.

I asked Vinjay what life in Thailand was like. He said there are too many taboos. "Taboos in Thailand include touching someone's head. You just don't do it. The head is considered the most sacred part of the body. The feet are considered the filthiest part of the body. Stepping over someone, or over food, is considered an offense. Books are treated as sacred objects. In Thailand, you never slide a book across a table or put it down on the floor. And I don't mean maybe."

We arrived at the hotel. The fare was $7.50. I gave Vinjay a hundred. "Thank you," he said, "Now I can go home early and catch forty winks!" "Maybe this is your lucky night. Maybe you should keep driving," I said. "I prefer to be home rather than drive into the dead of night. Quitting early fits the bill." And with that parting cliche, Vinjay drove off.

For no particular reason, I looked up. I saw a figure. I strained my eyes to see. There, in the shadow of the grand fountain in front of the hotel, was the man in the fedora hat. He was staring right at me. I started running towards him. He turned briskly and crossed Fifth Avenue. A bus went by. I had made him, but after the bus passed, he was gone. It was like he had vanished into thin air! One of the horse carriage drivers asked, "You alright, mister?" "Yes, I just thought I saw somebody." "How 'bout a carriage ride?" The man smiled broadly. "No thanks, I've got to check into my hotel. Maybe tomorrow." I was thinking of Ophelia when I said that.

I'd always wanted to stay at The Plaza Hotel. Designed by noted architect Henry Janeway Hardenbergh, "the greatest hotel in the world" opened October 1, 1907 at Central Park South and Fifth Avenue, and no expense was spared on this 19-story, French Renaissance "château." Marble lobbies, solid mahogany doors, 1,650 crystal chandeliers, Swiss organdy curtains, privately manufactured Irish linens, and gold-encrusted china were just a few of its features. Today, many say it's still New York’s most prestigious hotel. This true Beaux-Arts landmark just underwent a 400-million-dollar renovation. Rates are very high. My suite was $500 a night. While an Amtrak sleeper costs about the same, there's no point in comparing the two. One offers luxury, the other, adventure!

My Plaza Hotel suite was nicer than my suite on the circus train. Of course, it was far more spacious. There was an armoire and a settee and a king sized bed. Everything was finely upholstered with glabrous fabrics of the highest quality. The bathroom was immaculate. The view from my window overlooked the famous fountain where, in the movie "The Way We Were", Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford broke up. I especially liked the 'personalized' Muzak that was pumped into the room. All the tunes were songs of love and praise for me! "Dave, you're a great guy, Dave, you're the best - how we love you..."

I decided to go downstairs to the famed Oak Room for supper. I was still hungry, even though I'd had dinner with Ophelia on the Acela Express.

The Oak Room is a fabled restaurant. Its menu is daunting. I ordered the Lobster and Sweet Corn Bisque with Spring Mushrooms as an appetizer ($16) and the 50-day Niman Ranch Prime New York Strip Steak with Miso-Bernaise sauce ($48) for the main course. I also enjoyed Sweet and Sour Snow Peas with Apple and Bacon ($8) as a side dish. Then, feeling full and exhausted, I trudged back to my room. The first day of my trip was over. What a day it had been! Sleep came easily.

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So an Amtrak sleeper is dearer per square foot than a night at the Plaza" he said with his 2,300th Trainweb post!

(had to squeeze that in.....it's a milepost of sorts.)

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice one keep writing. If you guys want I'll post my fictional trip one day soon, as soon as you finish of course. Great story.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still on Day One of the journey! You should post yours! Dave

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I might post mine. I'll first combine its sequels into it first. That will take about a day.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page