RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Ever Been A Train To Green Bay?

Author Topic: Ever Been A Train To Green Bay?
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Subject line pretty much sums up my question. If there has been, and I imagine there was at one point, any tips where I can get my hands on the timetable? Thanks.
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly the old Soo Line or the Great Northern.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The December 1948 Official Guide shows the Chicago and North Western System serving Green Bay with 7 trains a day. The Milwaukee Road list 7 trains also. Getting your hands on an Official Guide of the Railways is the best way to get old time tables.It has been difficult for me but I have managed to get 2, Dec '48 and Jun '68.
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years ago, AMTRAK was going to start a Chicago-Fond du Lac train, but, as far as I know, that never materialized.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The MILW and C&NW both served Green Bay, and each had its own station. The MILW trains went away sometime in the early 1960s, but the North Western still ran several trains a day between Chicago and Green Bay right up until April 30, 1971. They used the "high level" cars (commuter gallery cars with reclining seats) at the end. At least two trains a day continued north to Marinette/Menominee, and if I remember correctly, there were two routes between Milwuakee and Green Bay on Northwestern. Both had passenger service. A summer-only train continued on to Ishpeming.

The former MILW line now belongs to Escanaba & Lake Superior from Green Bay north. South of Green Bay, it has been abandoned to Hilbert Junction, and is part of CN (via Wisconsin Central) from HJ south to Milwaukee.

The former C&NW lines are now part of UP. Only one of the two routes between Milwaukee and Green Bay remains, however.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starting in the late 1980s, up until around 2000, there was some discussion in the Wisconsin legislature for train service between Chicago, Milwaukee, and Green Bay. It would have been using the FRV (ex-CNW on some parts, Ex- SOO on others) going through Fond du Lac, West Bend, and the Fox River Valley. About $ 50 million of bonding authority was approved by the Wisc. State legislature for this project, and for re-routing the Empire Builder through Madison. The extension to Green Bay is part of the Midwest Regional high speed Rail initiative. Like so many other rail initiatives, this has been put on the back burner for the time being.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the cnw peninsula 400 ran from ishpeming michigan to chicago through green bay until july 1969. i was on the last run and our group was the last to buy tickets at the escanaba mi depot. the milwaukee roads copper country limited ran calumet mi to chicago through green bay also until march 1968. just thought i would add that as you can see by my signature i know a little about these 2 trains.

--------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road-Soo Line] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page