RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New promotion

Author Topic: New promotion
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just registered for the new double point Fall promotion. It's for travel between now and mid-December.

Frank in sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got an email about same and registered last night.

Now I need to get cracking and plan a trip. My wife's away Nov 7-11 and that's the perfect opportunity!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, please tell us on your next trip, you'll be going farther than lovely Carpinteria! Dare I suggest>>> all the way to Ventura? Sorry- couldn't resist a little Wednesday morning chuckle...Bob "A venture to Ventura?" "Adventure on a venture to Ventura?" Oh oh, RR Bob is losing it...<smile>
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never fear, Bob. The next trip will be all the way from Seattle to Vancouver. That's on the 28th before we board Celebrity Millennium for the 12 night cruise back to Los Angeles. We're using AGR points for that one so won't get the "Fall Bonus" points. We should just beat the "maintenance window" and will, hopefully, have the Talgo equipment in BC. (Sorry, Vicki--I know you and Art will just miss it.)

I'm thinking about burning the rest of my AGR points either in January or March for a 3 zone trip. This native Californian would like to see some snow.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I registered yesterday. I am taking the CZ from Denver to Sac or Martinez (depending on how late it runs in October, but used AGR for that. But getting home to Modesto will net me some of these bonus points!
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I registered yesterday as well and will use it
through December.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this mean that one gets 5 points for every dollar spent? 1 point from Chase, 2 pts from AGR then 2 more points from AGR? If so, that's a 25% discount if the points are applied to a 2-zone trip. I figure 5¢/point.
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, City of Miami, that's how I'd count it....

And in barely related news, I ordered a pair of tennis shoes from Footsmart through AGR's online mall this morning.

Footsmart awards 8 points per dollar and I used my Chase AGR credit card.

So.......for 1 pair of $64.00 sneakers which I was about to buy anyway, I expect to net 576 Guest Reward points..... (that's each dollar multiplied by 9)

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure about Chase points counting. I certainly hope it does but the ad for it is pretty specific:

"Earn double points on all trains and all routes September 14 - December 19, 2009"

No mention of other ways to earn double points??

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
The way I read it was double points for the actual travel. Not for purchases using the AGR card, etc. That's how all previous promotions like this have run.

Frank in Sunny SBA

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank. Amtrak travel bought via the Chase card always earns double points at the card end. Then you also get the points (double again for the promotion) from Amtrak itself. I put that at four points per dollar (or twice the 100 points Frank gets for his long excursions, SBA to CPN).

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We should have a contest to see if the promotion applies to Chase card points!

And since we are into contests - the current issue of National Geographic Traveler has an ad for a contest that includes a 9 day/8 night Amtrak package to Glacier from Chicago and then onto Seattle.

Enter here

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well thanks for the info, palmland! I just entered!
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Palmland--

Thanks for the info on the sweepstakes. I just entered. Maybe I won't need to worry about my August 20th points or double points!!

Frank in overcast and humid SBA

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, I entered too. Nice hotels, etc.!

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Vicki--

I got 213 points for that little SBA-CPN jaunt.

09/17/2009 Bonus Chase Amtrak Travel 13
09/09/2009 Bonus Summer Power Promo 09 Travel 100
08/28/2009 Amtrak Travel Travel: SANTA BARBARA - CARPINTERIA
Ticket Number: 2323048443877
Transaction Amt: 6.37 08/20/2009 100 view details

Frank in now Sunny SBA

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
So your share of the two million was 13???

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Nope. That was from Chase. It's the double points for the purchase of my ticket SBA-CPN. The ticket price was $6.37 x 2 = 13 (rounded up, thank you.)

The 2 million promotion points haven't posted yet. They said it would be by October 4. I'm not expecting it to be a huge amount.

On another subject, I got a travel voucher for $13.00 refunding the Business Class fare on that SBA-LAX trip that ended up being so badly screwed up. (No real business class seats, no coffee, tea or juice, no sweet rolls or muffins and no Cafe Car service because "the person in charge is not on board".) We did get the dome care, though?

I had sent an e-mail about it and got a phone call from a nice agent who agreed very quickly that I had not gotten what I'd paid for. She also said "I can see that you ride this route often..." so she must have had a display of my ridership in front of her.

I was told that to use it I would have to make a reservation by phone or in person, that it could not be used on an online reservation.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page