RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Make-Believe - 3/1

Author Topic: Make-Believe - 3/1
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DAY THREE

Ophelia took the day off and accompanied me on a one day rail excursion. We caught the 7:39 AM LIRR train from Penn Station to Greenport on the eastern tip of Long Island's north shore. Along the way we talked about Long Island things, like F. Scott Fitzgerald, the creation of Levittown, and Lindbergh's trans-Atlantic flight. Ophelia asked me lots of questions about my Amtrak trip. Part of me wanted to tell her about the microchip and the man in the fedora hat, but I stayed mum.

We had to change trains in Ronkonkoma. Even though the LIRR is America's busiest commuter railroad, Greenport is only served twice a day by a diesel-hauled shuttle. The shuttle was hauled by a new EMD DE30AC. The scenery grew more rural. We stopped at places like Yaphank and Mattituck. A man in the seat behind us argued about expanding Amtrak service between Kansas City and Dallas on his cellphone.

When we arrived in Greenport we had a quick lunch. Then we caught a cab to the ferry dock at Orient Point. From there, we sailed across Long Island Sound to New London, CT aboard the car-ferry "John H". A Cape Air Cessna 412 flew over the ferry midway across Long island Sound.

At New London, we caught an Amtrak Regional train back to Penn Station. The consist of Amfleet equipment was pulled by an HHP-8. I told Ophelia about old New Haven trains like the Senator, The Merchants Limited, and The Yankee Clipper. A young engaged couple sat behind us. They were arguing. The guy didn't want the gal to hypehnate her last name after they'd wed. We enjoyed cheeseburgers from the Amcafe. They were very gooey and tasty. It was a wonderful trip.

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you had tasty cheeseburgers in the Amcafe you would had to have been on one of the Silver Service trains. The Star and Meteor are stocked in Miami and have much better cheeseburgers!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So true. Great story. I like the plot. Keep writing
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These were cheeseburgers leftover from the Meteor's run that day!

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dns8560:
These were cheeseburgers leftover from the Meteor's run that day!

Ahhhhh....

Leftover gooey cheeseburgers......but of course!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page