RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Top Speed on SW Chief?

Author Topic: Top Speed on SW Chief?
dcfan
Member # 2311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dcfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the SWC still run at 90 mph in any blocks going westbound?

Wesley [Confused]

Posts: 73 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my GPS on during the night across the California desert. Definitely 90 mph.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah. Still 90 in several locations.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I thought that BNSF had removed all of the Automatic Train Stop throughout their network. I guess that has not been the case.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only on the essentially passenger only line between Kansas City and Albuquerque via Topeka and La Junta.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time I checked, the line from Goffs to Daggett (California) still had ATS in effect (rule 12.1 or something like that), thus 90mph allowed for passenger trains.

However I noticed this summer, driving along Interstate 40, that almost all of the signals along the this portion are being replaced/have been replaced with tri-light hooded signals. The searchlights are pretty much gone. So one wonders when the signals get replaced, do they also get rid of ATS?

I doubt it though, as at Pisgah you can clearly see the ATS track side inductors. Some looked brand new too!

Other major western sections that have mostly (mostly meaning the inclusion of speed restrictions, stations, yards, etc...) 90mph running include (note all listed heading east):

• Crookton Cutoff west of Williams Junction, Arizona
  • Winslow AZ to Gallup NM (a section between is not 90)
  • Gallup to Grants, New Mexico

On my last eastbound trip to Lamy, New Mexico, after we passed the new Rail Runner junction to Santa Fe, the Chief literally took off. Man were we bouncing along until Lamy. I believe Rail Runner removed ATS, thus allowing a top speed of 79 for the Chief. But as soon as we left the Rail Runner line heading to Lamy boy were we cooking. And I know this line is now owned by New Mexico, but it seems they did not remove ATS after the Santa Fe junction.

In years past the Chief zoomed though Bernallio, New Mexico at 90mph. But in recent years the speed is noticeably down, so probably 79mph top. When I'm in the area, I like to get lunch at the Texaco/Burger King and wait to see #4 fly by. Trust me, there is a clear difference in speed between 90 and 79 when viewing from this spot. But at 79, that train is still really moving. Usually kicks up some sand/dust as she flies by. But at 90mph just a few years ago, the dust show was more dramatic.

Whew, this turned out to be a lot longer than I originally intended it, sorry if you get lost in all this info.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page