RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Talgo Trip Report

Author Topic: Talgo Trip Report
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With apologies to Vicki and Art...

We flew to SEA on the Sunday before our cruise. We used reward tickets on Southwest and both flights (LAX-OAK and the continuation OAK-SEA) were full but we had aisle seats and the flights were uneventful.

(One thing I don't understand. Why do people insist on lining up outside at Terminal One at LAX to check bags? It's much more pleasant -- and faster according to the agents -- to do it inside.) I was through security in under five minutes.

After a good dinner at "Ivar's Acres of Clams" with friends and a short night at the Red Lion on 5th we took a cab ($10.00) to King Street Station.

The check-in process for our Northbound Cascades (#510) and a southbound train had already begun. After a quick passport check we were assigned seats on the two seat side of Business Class which was the side closest to the water. We had an on time departure and, I believe, arrived early into Pacific Central Station in Vancouver. Customs and Immigration there was very quick (because we were in the last car we were the last through the line but I took some time to ogle the Canadian trainset that was being readied on the adjacent track.) Another $10.00 cab ride took us to the Ballantyne Pier (not Canada Place) where Millennium was waiting for us.

The ride up from Seattle was very nice. The cars run smoothly with very little motion or noise. Although this train set had recently been redone I found a couple of things that were not right. I moved seats to get a table to write (we were in a seat pair that faced another seat pair so no tables) the recline in that seat didn't work. Back in the original seat the reading light was out.

We used our $3.00 coupon to buy a light breakfast. I had yogurt and a muffin and milk. Norm had a cheese plate and yogurt. We both bought water.

A movie -- "Angels and Demons" -- was shown with headsets being sold. You could also use your own.

The views along the Sound are spectacular and, even when you get away from the water, the farmland is very pretty.

A number of people who we met on the ship were interested in the rail journey and said they might consider it next time. Virtually all of them had had a bad previous Amtrak experience and were pleased to hear that we had such a positive one.

We had some Canadian money from previous trips and used that and, once or twice, US currency. Change was usually made in Canadian dollars. We charged a few things (tickets to The Butchart Gardens, rental car, etc.) and expect the usual conversion fee.

Frank in soon to be VERY wet SBA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the 'Conversion Fee' on charges made in Canada a recent phenomenon?

I don't recall having been subjected to that when my wife and I last travelled north of the border 5 years ago.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David--

To be honest I'd have to check my statements from a year ago when we were in Ottawa for WARR (World Airline Road Race) but I'm pretty sure we paid it then.

Frank in still mostly dry SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I use my Canadian Visa card or my American Express card in the U.S., the only "conversion" would be the U.S dollar to Canadian dollar exchange. I have never had any other fee on my credit card. Of course the banks are notorious for hiding various fees that they do not disclose when foreign exchange takes place.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the good report. This train was one of our most pleasant surprises during our trip in the Northwest a few years ago.

We particularly liked the dining car - good service and definitely a cut above usual Amtrak fare with great views out the window. I had read that one of these trains would not have a diner. Was it on your train?

I also liked the little monitor that showed your progress on the route, similar to some airlines. It was fun to check our progress as we moved along. Were you a captive audience to the movie, or could you 'tune out'?

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Our train set did not have a diner but rather the Bistro. It had a snack bar for purchase of food, drinks, etc. and a seating area. Three of the tables were, of course, occupied by working crew for their paperwork.

The movie was shown without sound so it really wasn't too intrusive. They did not have the display of location, etc. at any time during the trip. I had enjoyed that on an earlier trip and missed it.

Frank in wet and windy SBA

TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back Frank! did you check out the thread down a couple of topics entitled, "Where in the world is Frank?" Some interesting photos; we're all following your progress!

TB

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Tom--

Indeed I did. I'm still trying to figure out how to make that system work. I was successful in finding Celebrity Mercury taking the "slow boat" route from Nanaimo to Victoria. She will be doing a similar itinerary to ours later in the month.

King Street Station looks much better than it did the time we all met there! Still much work to be done but there has been progress.

Frank in still wet SBA

dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
I was successful in finding Celebrity Mercury taking the "slow boat" route from Nanaimo to Victoria. She will be doing a similar itinerary to ours later in the month.

Trust me, you dont want to know... and I hope the weather gets better before they get to San Francisco.

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/pictures/Ad_3367_15.jpg

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too enjoyed the little "trip monitors" on the Talgo when I last rode a Talgo, in 1999. Unfortunately, they also showed a movie on that run, and as soon as the movie began, the trip monitors were gone (the movie used the same screen). I personally would rather sit and watch the trip monitors than a movie......
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
You'll notice that it appears that they didn't actually reach Nanaimo. That's a tender port.

We were VERY lucky with our weather all the way down the coast. The only significant rain was over night after we left Seattle on our way to Astoria. Part of our balcony had a canvas cover and it created a wonderful background noise along with the wake of the ship.

Frank in still wet SBA. They say we had nearly ten inches at the top of San Marcos Pass with close to three at the airport.

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, as usual you stole most of our rain. We are just getting dribs and drabbles.

Where did you see progress at King St. Station? Looked the same as last year to me. I wonder if they will ever get it done.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Vicki--

We were last there with Tom at least five years ago. Maybe longer.

I agree that things look much as they did a year ago but at least the Restrooms (Washrooms in Canadian!) are open now.

We got about three inches of rain in town and at the airport and they are reporting nearly ten at the top of San Marcos Pass.

Frank in still wet SBA

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the report, Frank. I love all the trains and places you mention.

Just wanted to clarify re conversion charges: RoyalTrain, you are right, according to what I was told by the bank credit card department last year, when I first saw the conversion charges on my credit card after a trip to Canada, the conversion charges were always charged, they were just hidden. Some new law that started last year or so now requires the charges to be posted. In my experience (which most recently has been in Quebec), it's still usually best to use your credit card for everything--even with the conversion charges, in my experience you get a better rate than if you convert money at a bank or a foreign exchange place (including hotel).

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page