RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » NYT article on rr hotel

Author Topic: NYT article on rr hotel
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where Clackety-Clack Is Lullaby of Choice

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/10/30/travel/escapes/30station.html?ref=travel

In going to this article, I also noticed NYT had posted a travel article 36 Hours in Sacramento (of possible interest to all you Vagabond Inn fans).

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
Where Clackety-Clack Is Lullaby of Choice

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/10/30/travel/escapes/30station.html?ref=travel

In going to this article, I also noticed NYT had posted a travel article 36 Hours in Sacramento (of possible interest to all you Vagabond Inn fans).

A good read, thanks.

My wife rolled her eyes at me when I read to her the part about watching trains from bed! It's just a pity that this inn is not within walking distance of an Amtrak station.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We (me and the train watcher widow)just returned from four days in mid and western PA. We spent two days at the Bridgeview Inn in Marysville and another two at the Tunnel Inn in Gallitzin. At the Bridgeview we heard many tales of the Station Inn at Cresson.
It was our first visit to the Bridgeview and second to the Tunnel Inn. We were IMPRESSED with the Bridgeview; especially as the weather wasn't always conducive to train watching. In addition to the outdoor deck there is an indoor viewing room with large picture windows and an assortment of viewing aids (spotting scope, binoculars, etc) to assist in the observing the action. The "bridge" across the river is magnificent and adds to the train watching experience, as does the proximity to the approaches to/from the bridge. During the night the aural senses take over from the visual as the trains move s-l-o-w-l-y past the Inn. You can hear and feel the throb of the diesel engines, the whine of the compressors and generators and the methodical clickety clac, clickety clac of the wheels.
Keith Latimore the everpresent host is a pleasant and helpful rail fan. His presence is in contrast to Mike Kraynyak the owner of the Tunnel Inn, who after two separate stays we've yet to meet.
Guess next trip we'll try the Inn at Cresson.
Best regards,
Rodger
P.S. I'll post a full review of the two inns on the Pennsylvania Railfan site at another forum.

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and typical NYT. The article indicates there is still a tunnel operational at Gallitzin. There are TWO tunnels operational Gallitzin.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page