RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A Genesis question

Author Topic: A Genesis question
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know what the Genesis locomotives used to cost "new" 10-15 years ago? I'm not looking for a "to the penny price" for what Amtrak paid, just an approximate range, and this can be within $500,000 or so.

Thank you

Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This source states $2.8 million per copy (1997). Another source pegs it at $2.5 million (doing the math of 30 engines for $75 million, but note the model variations in that 1997 purchase).
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zephyr:
This source states $2.8 million per copy (1997). Another source pegs it at $2.5 million (doing the math of 30 engines for $75 million, but note the model variations in that 1997 purchase).

Thank you Zephyr. I was looking for just a bit more verification (if not exactly official). I found one other source that indicated Amtrak #87 & #88 were acquired for $2.8 million.
Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert L
Member # 3144

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good data post, zephyr.

Does anyone know about dependability problems with the Genesis in the catagory of 'breathing' or 'air vents clogging due to placement too low to the tracks'?

I've heard about this design flaw on Genesis in the past, but have been unable to finds a source to back it up. It seems it happens much of the time in snow conditions, which then limits Genesis usefulness in winter and cause problems reliability and with host RR that need to rescue the train.
Designing a loco, with such a loco design flaw seems, well, loco. Something extra to worry about since I hear an Amrumor there might be a loco build and buy after Jan. 1.

Posts: 39 | From: Detroit, MI, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page