RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » LA connection and Texas Eagle

Author Topic: LA connection and Texas Eagle
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am considering a connection from the southbound Starlight to the eastbound Sunset Limited. Will Amtrak "ticket" that connection and what chance to I have of actually MAKING it ? Also, IF , by some chance , I miss the connection , what will most likely occur ?

Next, will it still be possible to connect from LA through to Chicago on the Sunset Limited//Texas Eagle (as the SAME train) or will I have to de-train in San Antonio and re-connect with the Eagle ?

Thanks in advance. JT

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Genesis803
Member # 122

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Genesis803     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure aout the Coast Starlight's on-time performance. Lets hope it is better than the Sunset's. However, the Sunset Limited does have through cars to Chicago so you will not have to detrain in San Antonio. The Texas Eagle cars are usually on the end on the Sunset Limited and are simply uncoupled from the Sunset and cupled to the full Texas Eagle consist in the middle of the night at San Antonio. You probably won't even wake up!!
Posts: 34 | From: Biloxi, MS USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Amtrak tell you if it is a guaranteed connection from the Starlight to the Eagle? If you don't know call 1-800-USA-RAIL and find out.

Amtrak takes its guaranteed connections very seriously, and they will go to great lengths to make sure you make it. If the starlight is running too late, you may be bussed to your connection. Still, if you are running late, it is a good idea to inquire with your conductor or car attendant to make sure they know where you are.

If it is not guaranteed you may be in for some difficulty.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just about every time I have taken Sunset Limited it is 2-8 hours late.

But I still love the train!

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone , for your replies.

After more consideration , I am not going to even attempt a "same-day" connection from the Starlight to the Sunset. There simply will not be enough time to make the connection , I am afraid. Since I do not want to over-nite in LA this trip , I am going to consider other west-coast options. And I do not want any part of the bus "routine" , as you may presume , which is most likely if the connection is guaranteed.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page