RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » OK -- my trip will be a go!!

Author Topic: OK -- my trip will be a go!!
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since AMTRAK is not going to shut down this week, I guess I'll begin my big trip Friday as planned (unless anything "unforseen" happens in the next 3 days!) I am "cautiously optimistic" that I'll be able to complete the trip before the AMTRAK shutdown, whenever that will happen. Anyway, if anyone out there will be traveling the rails over the next couple weeks, I hope you look for me! I'll be the middle-aged guy in shorts sitting in the lounge car (Amdinette, Sightseer Lounge, Pacific Parlour car, whatever...)with my video camera and my book of colored topographic maps of whatever route I am on at the time. Stop by and say howdy!!

I'll be on the Silver Meteor (6/28-29), Three Rivers (6/29-30), Texas Eagle (6/30-7/3), Pacific Surfliner (S-bd 7/3, N-bd 7/4), Coast Starlight (7/4-5), Empire Builder (7/6-8), City of New Orleans (7/8-9), and Sunset Ltd (7/9-10 "maybe")

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hookedup
Member # 1691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hookedup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a safe trip! I will be leaving right after you - hopefully!
Posts: 45 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chip
Member # 1733

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Chip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a good trip!
Posts: 16 | From: Richmond, Virginia-USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striperjack
Member # 1636

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for striperjack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see you kept the faith, have a great trip and will look forward to your reports. Be safe! Jack M
Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you have a great trip! We just got back from our two week journey and had a great time. The crews on both 22 and 21 were top notch. I experienced none of the rudeness that some have mentioned here.

I'm trying to work on a trip report as well as get caught up at work, home, etc. and will hopefully submit a full report by this weekend.

Good luck

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Striper Jack - of course I kept the faith, Man!! It's not like I am new to AMTRAK. I have been a faithful "frequent rider" and #1 passenger rail supporter for 25+ years!! I know quite a bit about AMTRAK, its trains, routes, services, and amenities -- in fact, sometimes I find that I know more about AMTRAK than some AMTRAK employees and ticket agents! Scary, eh?

Thanks for your post -- it's just that this "shutdown" makes me nervous -- AMTRAK, to my knowledge, has NEVER had a "shutdown" in 30+ years! My immediate concern, of course, is that it may screw up my vacation this year, which I will not reschedule -- I have too many other trips and commitments for later in the summer and fall. Mt real long-term fear is that, if AMTRAK "shuts down," they may never re-open again.... In spite of Mr. Gunn's best efforts, a totally new reformed AMTRAK sounds great to us, but based on what we as a nation have learned (or not learned???) over the past 30 years, I don't know how the politicians and the public would take to a totally "new" AMTRAK if they had to start over from scratch.

Yes, I have kept the faith, and a lot of that faith rests on my faith in Mr. Mineta and Mr. Bush (Gunn is no problem -- he will do the right thing) -- I hope they too "do the right thing," and keep their word on all this political rhetoric we've been hearing for the last 2 days. AMTRAK needs money, and they need it NOW -- it's as simple as that.

Finally -- I hope, as part of Mr. Gunn's reformed AMTRAK, that he can get some workable realistic contracts with the freight railroads, and give them an incentive to run our (AMTRAK's) trains on time!! The freight railroads have always been a pain in the a**, especially the last few months! That needs to be the first reform!!

Anyway, enough "preaching" for one day -- thank you all for your comments!
--"Railroad Rich" Kimmel

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi gang!! Me again -- it's late and I am tired, but I did just read the latest news press clip from the top of the Train Web site -- it looks like we'll be in business through August or September now!! Great!!!

Whew!! I feel much better about my trip now......

Chip
Member # 1733

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Chip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that too! That's great!
Posts: 16 | From: Richmond, Virginia-USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the link to *some* information about the agreement. Nothing was formally signed, but we can easily assume it will be.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020627/bs_nm/transport_amtrak_dc_58&e=1&ncid=

U.S., Amtrak in Tentative Deal
Wed Jun 26, 9:53 PM ET
By John Crawley

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Transportation Department and Amtrak reached a tentative deal on Wednesday night for a bailout that would resolve the national passenger railroad's immediate financial crisis and avert a shutdown threatened for as early as next week.

In a joint statement, Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta (news - web sites) and Amtrak Chairman John Robert Smith said the two sides had made "excellent progress" in bringing the crisis to an end, and were on track to finalize the deal possibly by Thursday.

Amtrak last week requested help from the Bush administration so it could access $200 million in credit from its banks to keep its trains running through September. The railroad's creditors had refused to lend it more money because of its poor financial condition and an incomplete audit report for 2001.

While the Transportation Department or Amtrak did not disclose details of the tentative agreement, sources inside and out of the government said the two sides agreed to take a two-stage approach.

Here's the scoop:

First, the government would directly lend Amtrak $100 million to cover spending priorities for the first half of the summer. In the second stage, the Bush administration would work with Congress to come up with another $100 million at least to keep the trains running through September.

That aid could come in the form of a direct appropriation from Congress, a direct loan from the Treasury or a loan guarantee. A loan guarantee would enable Amtrak to access its line of credit.

The agreement also would require Amtrak to improve its fiscal discipline and performance, and provide the government with a better understanding of long-term assets and liabilities as well as cost controls and revenue options.---
(contd)

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRRICH's itinerary:
I'll be on the Silver Meteor (6/28-29), Three Rivers (6/29-30), Texas Eagle (6/30-7/3), Pacific Surfliner (S-bd 7/3, N-bd 7/4), Coast Starlight (7/4-5), Empire Builder (7/6-8), City of New Orleans (7/8-9), and Sunset Ltd (7/9-10 "maybe")

Sounds like a marvelous trip, something akin to something I'd attempt. If the Three Rivers is on time, you should get to see Horseshoe curve. Do you change to the Three Rivers in New York or Philly?
Being on the WB Eagle you don't have to worry about your arrival into LA since there are trains almost every hour to San Diego(assuming thats where you are going).
Are you switching to the Empire Builder in Portland or Seattle(I see you are not making the same day connection in Portland)?
Have a great trip and we'll all be looking forward to your trip report.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reggie - I will be connnecting to the Three Rivers in New York, unless the Meteor is very very late (which doesn't happen that much), in which case I'd connect in PHL or TRE. Yes, I am taking the Pacific Surfliner to San Diego, and I know there are many trains each day in that corridor. The Empire Builder connection will be made in Seattle -- that is why it's a "next day" connection, since there isn't any same-day option available!!!

Thanks for the post!

reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, now you got me thinking about my next trip. Hopefully, I'll get to go again sometime in the fall.
If you're riding sleepers & the Meteor is late enough to worry about the connection in New York, I'd opt for Philadelphia. There's a lot more to do and see in Philly and they do have a Metro Lounge there also. It may be called Acela lounge, but as a sleeper pax, you'd be entitled to use it.
Have a great trip.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page