RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Baggage Check at LAX

Author Topic: Baggage Check at LAX
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going to San Diego on the Surfliner in two weeks for a cruise and will have a lot of baggage. I saw a suitcase scale at the ticket counter last week at LAUPT. Is that where I will check my bags? Or can I go over to the baggage area and check there as well?

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry that I can't really answer your question about where to go for checked baggage at LAUPT.

But I'm wondering where does checked baggage go on Surfliners? They don't have a baggage car like the long distance trains do. My guess are the small compartments (lower level) that you can access from the outside only. Sort of like the old Coach Baggage Superliners.

Wait, don't the cab cars say coach/baggage on the side? That must be where the checked baggage goes.

I'm pretty sure checked baggage is offered on the Surfliner, but it can't be at too many locations or on every train because I don't think I've ever seen bags loaded or unloaded while I've taken it.

I guess I'll try and pay more attention on March 12th when I'm heading down to San Diego (from Anaheim).

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki,

I've checked baggage at LAUPT. If you come thru the front door of the station from the street; walk through the waiting room into the back area, where, on your right are the ticket counters and straight ahead is the tunnel to trains, make a hard left; go down to the end into another room for baggage claim. There's an office in there where you can leave luggage.

TB

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TB, you do mean checked the bags to be put on the train, didn't you? As opposed to storing the bags for a while.

In other words, one checks the baggage in at the same place one picks it up, the baggage claim area?

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SW Chief, yes- the checked stuff goes in the lower compartment in the Cab Car. They usually secure it behind a locked door, which opens with a coach key.

Sometimes you'll see the engineer pop out of there, if he's making a quick restroom break to the lower level lav.

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopeful:

Baggage storage is the same place as baggage checking/claim. There is a $3 per bag fee for "storage." But better than lugging it all to Philippe for a french dip sandwich.

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beware of Philippes! They were shut down by the health department due to cockroach infestation. I don't know if they have re-opened yet, but this happened within the last week or two.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thing Carl Morrison and I hit Philippe's when we did three weeks ago. It seemed fine, and the sammitches were excellent.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
We went to LAUPT to pick up our tickets and had lunch at Philippes the day they reopened. They opened at 11:00 and we were there at 11:30 with news people from the three local network stations. They interviewed the fellows sitting next to us and we saw it on TV that night. We had missed the news that they were closed so it was all a surprise to us.

I doubt that there is a restaurant that does not have cockroaches. But when they parade in front of the customers it doesn't bode well for the health department's interest.

And thanks for the definitive answer on baggage checking. Will be there a week from Sunday in preparation for a 33 day cruise out of San Diego. Eat your heart out Frank!

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki, Vicki, Vicki--

You DO remember that we have that 14 night Transatlantic to look forward to in April, don't you? I do admit, though, that I'm just a tad jealous of those 33 days you'll have with so many wonderful sea days.

Frank in wet SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page