RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Surfliner Construction Project

Author Topic: Surfliner Construction Project
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see that last weekend the Surfliners terminated at Irvine and it was bus from there to San Diego. This has been a periodic change for the current track work.

I am scheduled for LAX to SAN this Sunday. Would I have already been informed if the Irvine thing was occurring? Perhaps you know this Chris G.

Please, please tell me it will not be happening. I already lost out on the Talgo to Vancouver last fall.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked the Amtrak web site and put dates in for both Saturday and Sunday and got a through ticket with no buses. You will be good because they never do back to back weekend closures.

Have a great trip!

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Chris. I saw that no bus was mentioned but I wasn't sure how much ahead they made these decisions. I feel much better about the trip with your input.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Vicki,

which train will you be taking this Sunday?
If I'm free I will try to meet you!

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be on the 564 from Anaheim to San Diego Friday March 12th. Heading to Old Town to meet a bus that will take me and a tour group to the Marine Corps Air Station at Miramar (kind of sucks that I have to trolley back to the Old Town depot).

Hopefully there are no track closures on the 12th.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Wow, Chris, it would be a thrill to meet you. We are taking the 572 at 11:10 am. Friends will drop us off about 10:00 and we will be checking bags and then hanging about.

If you think you can be there let me know and we can try for a meet at some specific place.

--------------------

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will meet you in the station at the chairs
near the Hertz Rental Car just outside the baggage room area.

Chris

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
What time? This is exciting.

--------------------

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anytime after 10:15 AM I should be there if not before. I will have my Led Zeppelin Hat on so bI will be easy to find.

Chris

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Great, see you there. I will take a repeat look at your latest reports to memorize your appearance.

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki and Art--

Have a great train ride and a wonderful cruise! Report in from along the way if you can.

Best,

Frank in sunny but they say soon to be wet SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Had a great time meeting and talking to Chris G. Of course everyone in the building knows him. And vice versa. Also had a good Surfliner trip with Conductor Bob and BC Attendant Mary.

By the way, one does not check bags in the baggage claim area. It is handled at the ticket counter. Or the very nice Redcap will do it and whisk them away then come back for you later. We even picked up the engineer and gave him a ride to the train platform.

The bags were out in minutes at SAN. However, they did remove all of my cheesy paper Holland America baggage tags. Oh well, I can get some at the dock. Am now resting comfortably at the beautiful Omni Hotel. On to Hawaii and the South Seas tomorrow on the Rotterdam.

--------------------

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Omni is a GREAT hotel! I stayed there two years ago for the TRAC meeting that was held in Old Town.

Have a great cruise!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, again, Vicki, Bon Voyage and Aloha Oe,

Frank and Norm in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page