RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » greenville advice

Author Topic: greenville advice
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am considering a trip to Asheville from DC in a few months.Cousins will pick me up in Greenville. What is that station like. Is it in a safe area in case they are late. The train gets there about 6:30 PM Is there a station closer than that to Ashville? Thanks
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Train Lady,

The only southbound train serving Greenville, SC is the Crescent which is due in at 4:54am. That would mean leaving Asheville at 3:00am to get there. The station in Greenville, SC is at the end of a dead-end street where the last 10 blocks are in a neighborhood that will make folks who don't live there nervous......especially in the middle of the night. The station itself is well-lighted and there is lot's of activity 24-7 as it's adjacent to a freight yard with railroad employees coming and going around the clock.

A better bet......though it's about 45 minutes further.....would probably be to have them meet you off train 79 in Charlotte......or maybe even Greensboro, NC.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks David. My cousin now suggests Greensboro. The Carolinian goes there and the times are much better.But I have the same questions so any answers will be appreciated.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
High Point might be a better choice not sure when it arrives but its a bit closer towards Ashville
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greensboro is highly recommended.

The station itself is one of the real gems of NCDOT's station restoration project. It is a full-service station staffed 24/7 and there is generally a security presence as well.

You'll have no problem at all inside the station.

Beyond the station, that area of downtown Greensboro is making a comeback.....lot's of activity downtown.... I wouldn't chance it alone after dark BUT the station area here is much safer than around the station in Greenville, SC.

High Point is geographically closer to Asheville BUT there are more miles and more traffic lights between the station and the interstate....net travel time isn't more than five minutes or so closer......this is a drive I actually made just three weeks ago. The shorter drive is negated entirely by the extra 15 minutes aboard the train.

Also, while the High Point station is also a restored showpiece, it is staffed by an attendant who opens the waiting room at train time only. If your relatives are running late, you may be turned out on the platform when the attendant locks up and heads home.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True Elvis looking remembering High Point is downtown and you'll have to go up on 311 lots of lights till end of town. Greensboro will get you on to 40 much quicker, Both great restorations bravo to The Great State of North Carolina.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We dropped by the Greenville station a couple summers ago to pick up tickets for a subsequent trip. It was hard to find and the enighborhood was very bad...got lots of looks as we drove our minivan through that hood. Years ago the Greenville station was closer in town from what I recall. Definitely go for Greensboro.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page