RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » family bedroom

Author Topic: family bedroom
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdchops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be traveling on board train 5 enroute to
emeryville on Sunday and have reserved a
family bedroom. I have been in one but have
never reserved this space and am wondering
how loud it is?

I could have just reserved a roomette but am
traveling with someone who's never stepped foot
on a train and wanted to have the space for
both of us...hoping it wont be a bad experience.

None the less, im looking forward to it.

birdchops

Posts: 54 | From: Saint Louis | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Family Room is on the lower level extending all the way across the car with views out both side. It will give you a great ride,

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you will have plenty of space for 2 of you and you won't have people walking back and forth in front of your room.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdchops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well I hope I made the right choice with my first-time rail rider. I've traversed the route in the past with roomette accomdations.

regardless im sure cabernet will taste the same. we have to switch to a rommette in reno , a move that saved us like 400 from the price of the ticket. silly perhaps but 400 will buy a couple nice dinners at lake tahoe, or quite a few bottles of cabernet!

Posts: 54 | From: Saint Louis | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally never liked the family room.

Here is what I think to be major cons of the room:

1 While you do get a full car width room and windows on each side, the windows are half the size of a roomette or bedroom.

2 I always traveled with my family in it so it seemed a bit cramped to me. With just 2 people you'll have more then enough room.

3 It's downstairs only so the view may not be as interesting. Plus the truck is right behind the wall of the room. So if there is a flat spot wheel you'll hear it...and might even feel it.

4 There is no window in the room door. Sometimes I think you get overlooked by the porter and dining car attendant when in the family room. I think the lack of a door window is partially the reason.

Here are the pros:

1 More room (full width of the sleeper)

2 Easy access to the downstairs luggage rack (when compared to upstairs rooms).

3 Easy access to the restrooms (when compared to upstairs rooms).

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matt I must say I agree with you. In addition I think it is much colder down there
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matt, why would they need access to the luggage rack? They will have tons of room in their room for luggage.

birdchops, I would suggest leaving your room and heading for the sightseer car as you leave Denver. You will want FULL view of the view, climbing into the Rockies.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second what Mike said about the sightseer lounge, but if the train is crowded I would stake out your seat in the lounge BEFORE leaving Denver. It sometimes fills up. I prefer sitting toward the rear of the lounge for the 28 tunnels west of Denver. With the ceiling glass the tunnel seems to wrap around the train coming toward you. Or maybe I just had too much beer.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had a family room on No. 5 last fall. My wife and I loved it - we each had 'our' window and would call out when something interesting approached.

I agree with all Southwest Chief's comments - but the smaller window did not bother us. However you should be in the Lounge for the climb up the front range and, later, the Gore canyon. Grab a good seat before the Denver crowd boards. On the other hand, the noise at night is exhilarating. Especially when you hear a loud crack and feel a jolt where the track is bad or rough crossing or switch. Your bottle of wine will help with this.

So, lots of good and a little not so good - but you will have a good time. The privacy, easy access to the large bathroom, as well as the outside doors for a quick inspection at station stops are all a real plus.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I third the motion about claiming a spot in the Sightseer car before leaving Denver. On the RIGHT side -- that will give you a good view of the Front Range as the train climbs up, and of the eastern peaks as the train plunges into the Rockies. After Granby, however, try to get a seat on the left side of the car, because that'll give you the best view of Gore, Little Gore, Byers and Red Canyons. Return to the right side after Dotsero for Glenwood Canyon.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had mixed thoughts about the family room. The small windows aren't so great nor is the view from track level. If there are 2 people, it will be okay since you each have a window. When there are 3, it's a pain as somebody sits in the middle and stares at the door. Unlike TRainlady, I've often found this room to be warm in summer as there aren't enough a/c vents. A small fan is a good idea. Once we had a car with a flat spot on thwe wheel and another time noisy springs (shock absorbers). Both sounded like they were right under my ear until I reverse ends of the bed. These are unlikely problems and I'm sure you'll have a nice trip!
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Silver Star, we never went in the summer so the heat was not an issue. But late spring and fall was.
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
im back from train 5 chicago to emmoryville.

everything was just fine. loved the extra space in the family bedroom. my first-time rider friend had a great time and enjoyed the scenery and we couldnt have had a better time. there were some small typical amtrak quirks amuck but overall i thought it went well.

the room was in the 532 sleeper and it was more quiet than i had thought. never had any problems with temperature at all. WIsh they put the car on in the opposite direction so that you werent riding backwards but all in all it was great.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page