TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Beefing up the P32-8s

Author Topic: Beefing up the P32-8s
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The latest from Media Relations. Makes me wonder if the exhaust fumes will smell like Texas barbecue.

AMTRAK HEARTLAND FLYER TESTS CLEANER, RENEWABLE FUEL
FOR PASSENGER TRAINS

Biodiesel blend with beef byproduct in 12-month experiment

OKLAHOMA CITY and FORT WORTH –Amtrak and the Oklahoma and Texas state transportation departments today announced the nation’s first-ever test of a cleaner and renewable biodiesel fuel blend to power a daily interstate passenger train between Oklahoma City and Fort Worth, with the aim of reducing greenhouse gas emissions and the use of foreign oil.

Amtrak received a $274,000 grant from the Federal Railroad Administration to carry out the research project in partnership with the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (Okla. DOT) on the daily Heartland Flyer train operated by Amtrak with state support from both Oklahoma and Texas. The biodiesel blend includes beef byproduct and is provided by a Texas-based vendor.

In previously conducted stationary locomotive engine testing, the biodiesel blend known as B20 (20% pure biofuel and 80% diesel) reduced hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide each by 10 percent, reduced particulates by 15 percent and sulfates by 20 percent. Detailed measurements will be taken on the P32-8 locomotive at the end of 12 months so any impact of the biodiesel on valves and gaskets can be measured. Amtrak will collect locomotive exhaust emissions data for analysis in accordance with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency locomotive exhaust emissions federal test protocols.

“Quality of life issues are increasingly important. The Heartland Flyer has always provided high-quality service and being the first to test this program is another testimony in doing that by trying to improve the environment,” said Oklahoma Secretary of Transportation. Gary Ridley. “We are truly proud that Oklahoma is a part of this innovative way to improve our quality of life."

“Improving air quality and providing multimodal transportation alternatives are goals central to Texas transportation development efforts,” said Bill Glavin, Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) Rail Division Director. “Our partnership with Amtrak and Oklahoma on the Heartland Flyer helps us accomplish both goals - motorists have an additional option for travel between North Texas and Oklahoma City, which not only takes vehicles off the highway, but reduces harmful emissions compared to traditional diesel-fueled locomotives.”

“Amtrak travel is already more energy efficient than most other forms of intercity transportation,” said Roy Deitchman, Amtrak Vice President, Environmental, Health and Safety. “If the test shows this use of a renewable fuel in our locomotive is successful, it’s a home run for our passengers, for our partners and for the planet.”

At events timed with the train’s morning departure from Oklahoma City and noontime arrival in Fort Worth, officials attached a version of the Amtrak “green seal” to the 3,200-horsepower locomotive that powers the train and compared samples of diesel and biodiesel fuels. Oklahoma’s environment secretary issued a statement in support and state’s agriculture secretary attended the Oklahoma City event.

“I commend Okla. DOT, TxDOT and Amtrak for their commitment to using a cleaner burning fuel that will ultimately help us deal with air quality challenges”, said Oklahoma Secretary of Environment J.D. Strong. “This project also promotes the national security benefits of utilizing our own natural resources for fuel, rather than imported petroleum, and putting money in the pockets of our agricultural producers, rather than foreign governments.”

“Renewable fuels such as biodiesel are perfect examples as they combine our state’s two leading industries, agriculture and energy, to come together and create this tremendous asset for Oklahoma,” said Oklahoma Secretary of Agriculture Terry Peach. “The potential for environmental protection and economic development opportunities make this exciting.”

The Texas Beef Council was on hand at the event in Fort Worth to provide information and materials to passengers, explaining cattle provide many products -- in addition to beef -- and this example of two industries utilizing unique resources to power interstate transportation.

About the Heartland Flyer

The Amtrak Heartland Flyer was inaugurated June 14, 1999, with federal funds received by Okla. DOT that were designed to initiate service in areas without Amtrak trains. TxDOT joined the partnership with Oklahoma and Amtrak in 2006. The 10th anniversary of the service was celebrated in 2009, with the support of the Heartland Flyer Coalition, representing the communities along the 206-mile route. Ridership last month was up 2.7 percent versus March 2009 and totaled 33,696 from October 2009 through March 2010.

The public can participate in the biofuel test and save money traveling as Amtrak is offering a 50-percent discount off a companion fare on the Heartland Flyer with the advance purchase of an adult fare through May 28, 2010. Fare Code H838 must be used and other restrictions apply for travel through May 31, 2010. Amtrak operates the Heartland Flyer under state-funded contracts with Okla. DOT and TxDOT to provide daily service, with regularly scheduled stops in Oklahoma City, Norman, Purcell, Pauls Valley and Ardmore, Oklahoma and in Gainesville and Fort Worth, Texas. For additional information, visit www.heartlandflyer.com.

About the Oklahoma Department of Transportation

The mission of the Oklahoma Department of Transportation is to provide a safe‚ economical‚ and effective transportation network for the people‚ commerce and communities of Oklahoma. For more information, visit www.okladot.state.ok.us

About the Texas Department of Transportation

The Texas Department of Transportation is responsible for maintaining nearly 80,000 miles of road and for supporting aviation, rail and public transportation across the state. TxDOT and its approximately 12,000 employees strive to empower local leaders to solve local transportation problems, and to use new financial tools, including tolling and public-private partnerships, to reduce congestion and pave the way for future economic growth while enhancing safety, improving air quality and increasing the value of the state’s transportation assets. Find out more at www.txdot.gov.

About Amtrak

As the nation’s intercity passenger rail operator, Amtrak connects America in safer, greener and healthier ways. Last fiscal year (FY 2009), the railroad carried 27.2 million passengers, making it the second-best year in the company’s history. With 21,000 route miles in 46 states, the District of Columbia and three Canadian provinces, Amtrak operates more than 300 trains each day—at speeds up to 150 mph (241 kph)—to more than 500 destinations. Amtrak also is the partner of choice for state-supported corridor services in 15 states and for several commuter rail agencies. Visit Amtrak.com or call 800-USA-RAIL for schedules, fares and more information.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm...so Willie Nelson is an astute prognosticator?
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose one could 'flavor' the biodiesel regionally -

The Hiawatha locomotives could smell like sausage and cheese, the Heartland Flyer like either BBQ or a steakhouse, the Empire Service trains could smell like spaghetti and meatballs, and so forth. With the demise of the Kentucky Cardinal I'm not sure where the locomotive that smells like fried chicken will be able to go!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was curious as to why only B20 instead of B100 (ie pure bio, no diesel) but it would appear that diesel engines can usually run unmodified with up to B20 fuel. Presumably the engine being tested was just cleaned up and analysed prior to the trial, and will be analysed again at the end of the trial to see what damage - if any - it had on the components.

I assume the reference in the news item to the engine being a P32 is wrong, and Henry's topic title is correct? Apparently P32s are only used in the northeast.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fixed the topic title. There's no P42-8, as far as I know. Thanks, Geoff.

I believe a couple of P32-8s are in California service, but am not certain.

The City of New Orleans could be flavored with fried chicken. Amtrak crews call it the Chicken Bone Special, after all.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you were correct, Henry! But changing my Google keywords suggests that P32-8BWH models do indeed operate on the Heartland Flyer.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since 2007 the Royal Train in the UK has been operating on 100% biofuel, according to Brian Hoey's publication. Whether tongue-in-cheek I cannot say, but he comments on an aroma of fish and chips permeating the operating cab.
Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:

I believe a couple of P32-8s are in California service, but am not certain.

Unit # 2051 is an AmCal P32-8, and is painted in AmCal colors. The Oakland yard also has a P32-8, which I think is number 503. They have been using that as their yard switcher for a few months now, and it is painted in the regular Amtrak color scheme (the newest one). There might be one other AmCal unit, but I can't recall.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Related: some NS locos are also being tested, and the linked articles suggest others too.

Railway Gazette

--------------------
Geoff M.

CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they really wanted to "beef up" the fleet, they could replace the P32s with a model that is higher horsepower. I think I would nominate the SD-80, except for the fact that it is no longer manufactured. Maybe an SD-70 just with turbochargers and dynamic braking. Oh, and cab signals, too.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page