RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Guest Rewards Points

Author Topic: Amtrak Guest Rewards Points
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the rule on when these points "expire"? My wife and I travelled 3-1/2 years ago. She earned 990 points for the railfare, however her balance is now 0 because the points "expired" in April. Meanwhile, I earned 3,448 points for the railfare plus sleeper accomodations, and I still have these points.

Will they expire soon if I don't get a chance to use them? Also, Amtrak just sent me an e-mail which seems to indicate that I can "share" these points with someone if I choose. How does that work?

Would rather transfer them to somebody's account in this forum than lose them, since it doesn't appear that I'll be able to use them anytime soon.

If anyone's interested in getting these points, please let me know how to do the transfer. Guess the first reply gets the prize.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are the rules on point expiration from the Guest Rewards Terms of Service:

1. Subject to the terms of this TOC, Points earned under the Program will not expire as long as the Program continues and the Member travels on Amtrak using their Membership Number within a 3-year period.
2. If no Amtrak travel is purchased, recorded or reported within a 3-year period, or if you do not make and honor an Amtrak travel reservation within this timeframe, your points will expire. You can view all Point and Travel activity by logging into "My Account" on this Site.
3. Points earned under the Program will not expire if the member is an active cardholder of the Amtrak Guest Rewards® World MasterCard® issued by Chase Bank.

It also says that points must be redeemed by the member, but that the points can be used to book travel for another person.

Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...... that's a relief.

Good thing I've got the credit card and have never gone more than 18 months without cashing in some points.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, that explains it and thanks. My wife hasn't ridden on Amtrak since she got the points in late 2006, while my last trip was in May, 2007. We don't have (and don't want) the credit card.

So my offer remains. If anyone wants my 3,448 points, please contact me via private message.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doing a quick search, you can get 4 movie tickets for 3000 points.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dixie Flyer
Member # 4640

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dixie Flyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Notelvis,

Make that 36 months.

--------------------
Richard T.

Posts: 30 | From: Northwest Georgia | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dixie Flyer:
Notelvis,

Make that 36 months.

OK. That's correct.

36 months per the terms of agreement.....

For me personally though the last time I went more than even 18 months without booking and taking an Amtrak trip was 20 years ago..... and that was primarily because I was out of the country for half that period courtesy of the US Army.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Mike Smith, can you post the link to that movie deal for the 3,000 points? I want to see the movie about Secretariat when it comes out, and, since John Travolta is now an Ocalan, the remake of Grease that I've heard about.

By the way, I guess you know that jockey Mike Smith rode the winner of the Belmont Stakes yesterday, and beat the horse that I liked to the wire.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scroll down to near the bottom of the page.
https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/index.cfm?category=redeem&loc=rewards_selection.cfm&rewards=RetailEntCerts

And I had no clue about the Belmont Stakes race. I was busy getting my back yard bow range in shape and helping George work on his Honda bike.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Thanks for that link, and tell George (your son?) to be careful on that bike.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
George, the squirrel killer, is one of the guys I go hunting with (since 1985). Norm is the other one (since 1991).

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page