RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » q about boston

Author Topic: q about boston
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, all! I have two groups of questions about Boston, to which I think I am going again to meet a friend:

1. I have some time between when my train arrives at Boston South Station & when my friend gets out of work. I thought I'd leave my luggage at the stations and maybe go visit the JFK Birthplace and/or library, 2 places I haven't been. I have directons for both but cannot tell how far apart they are from each other--can anyone tell me? Also, what are the neighborhoods like, inc getting there--i.e., I gather I can take a Green Line B or Green Line C trolley to get to the birthplace--are both ways OK? And I gather it's Red Line to JFK Library--is that an OK ride too?

2. After I meet my friend, I think we may take a ferry to Provincetown. Has anyone ever done that? There seem to be 2 lines, one at Long Wharf called Boston Harbor Cruises and one by the WTC called Bay Cruises I think. . . both say they are fast ferries. Any preference on these? Price is the same. Also, about how far in advance should we book? Fares and nonrefundable, and we really dont want to go if it rains!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MetSox
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MetSox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The JFK Birthplace is in Brookline, about a 15 walk from my place. The C branch of the Green Line is much closer. Get off at Coolidge Corner (The 5th stop outside), turn right on Harvard St., walk about four blocks to Beals St. and turn right. The Kennedy house is near the end of a very long block. Brookline is a rather upscale community, so walking is perfectly safe.

The JFK/UMass station on the Red Line has a misleading name. In my opinion, they never should have changed the name from Columbia. Both the library and the campus are about a mile away on a peninsula in Dorchester Bay. However, there is a shuttle bus, which should also be fine. Both the Ashmont and Braintree branches of the Red Line stop there. These two places are nowhere near each other.

I don't think there are any left luggage facilties at South Station anymore. As far as I know, you can only check bags if you're departing on a train with checked baggage service. I think the only ones that do are the Lake Shore and the overnight Regional to Newport News. I would suggest you check at the baggage counter next to the ticket windows, just in case you can anyway.

I don't know much about the ferries to Provincetown but I would think you'd be more likely to have to book in advance on the weekend. Long Wharf is about a 10 minute walk straight up Atlantic Ave. With bags, you might want to take a cab. On the subway, it would be three trains, one stop each! The Silver Line goes directly from South Station to the World Trade Center.

Posts: 49 | From: Brookline, MA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner,

I can't add much to Metsox description of the transportation possibilities, except that the walk to Long Wharf from So. Station is manageable, just up Atlantic Ave. But the Silver Line is more convenient. It's right at the station. As to checked bags (necessary, I would guess); at www.amtrak.com the site mentions that there is still checked bag possibilities. Think positively; I'm sure they'll hold your bag for a couple of hours for a fee!
Finally, IMHO, the library has a lot more to offer than the house and is easier to get to.

Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good info provided, I might just add that the baggage check area is not at the ticket windows in South Station but rather at a separate office located next to trk. 15.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for all your info. Both sound the JFK home and JFK library sound doable.

Re Provincetown ferry, sorry I wasn't clearer--I would be staying with my friend overnight before that, so I would not be leaving for the ferry directly from South Station the way I am for the Kennedy sites. With that in mind, if anyone has any preferences regarding the two boat lines, let me know. Parking/driving is also a consideration; I suspect parking/driving might be easier at the ferry from the WTC site, but I'm not sure. . .

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page