RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Phila To Miami .....91 vs 97

Author Topic: Phila To Miami .....91 vs 97
NJBill
Member # 5602

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJBill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We will be traveling to Miami this August in coach. My kids are 13,13,15.

According to the schedule ,the trains arrive in Miami an hour apart, but the total train time for the 97 is 3.5 hours less than Train 91.

Aside from the time differential, are there any other differences that would make one train more desireable than the other?
Thanks.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason for the time differential is that the Silver Star (#91) detours by way of Tampa and back while the Silver Meteor (#97) takes a more direct route to south Florida.

Aside from that, the trains look to be comparable. I'd recommend the Meteor, unless you just want to see what the side trip to Tampa looks like or you're hungry for another dining car dinner.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having ridden both 91 and 97,there is virtually no difference in the ride. They cover the same route through part of North Carolina,one going through Raleigh and Columbia,the other through Rocky Mount and Charleston.. and from Savannah through Jacksonville they travel the same territory. If you would like to go through the West Coast of Florida via Tampa take the Star. It will add a few hours to the trip.

The portions covered through South Carolina are done at night,so you won't be missing any scenery. I sure wish these trains offered the Superliners,but the tunnels in Baltimore and New York prohibit it.

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would take the Silver Star, as you see more of Virginia and North Carolina in daylight which in places are really pretty. There is also jointed rail on the S Line south of Hamlet. When you get south of Camden you can see many shops and restaurants as your train rambles thru the next county (about ten minutes). Then you don't really see much after that. There are three bridges of note south of Hamlet. the Pee Dee River, Wateree, and the Savannah. Also depending on your day of travel there is a really friendly crew who rides train 91 every 8 days. You also pass thru DC, at a time where you can see the monuments from the train, when it isn't dusk. You can get good photos of the equipment in DC. You also see the James River bridge, which is really nice. There is also a fairly big bridge near Petersburg. You go down I-195 in Richmond. You also cross the Roanoke River at Weldon NC, who when you cross the river if you look to your left (sb) you see the abandoned S-line bridge. (only the bridge is abandoned). Also there you can see a Weldon Union station as you fly by on the viaduct. Cool fact about that station is that it used to have a platform on the viaduct. That also on the left. If you look out the right instead of looking at the station, you can see a crossing that goes thru an intersection of a road. In Emporia VA you can see the quaint little downtown. Also when you stop in Rocky Mt. There is a train display on the platform. You probably won't have time to get off and check it out but it is cool to look at. A ACL office car, and hopper. Then as you slow down to change to the NC railroad in Selma, if you look to your left you see Selma Union Station. On the right there, you see it's parking lot, and a caboose. When you reach Raleigh you will see the sky line from the station on your right. If you are still up at Hamlet NC, there is a SAL unit and caboose on your right side, at the stop. You should also pass thru Folkston GA early in the day, so you may see it. South of Palatka you will see a lot of small lakes and ponds. Then when you reach Tampa you will go thru a back up onto a wye, and the train will back into Union Station in Tampa. Also the ACL station in Orlando is really nice looking in a Spanish Style. Also south of of Alexandria VA. You will pass by Possum Point which is a huge Coal burning power plant, that has an ALCO which was visible last week. Then you will pass also on your left, the Meede Pyramid, which is a small pyramid in VA. After that you pass Stonewall Jackson's house. It is better to travel pass that in a NB direction, as there is a sign saying by the crossing it is there, so you can look, or else it looks like a normal house. While you are in Alexandria make sure to look to your right at the George Washington Monument. Also when you pass thru Fredericksburg it is really nice looking on the right. Also you pass thru Ashland Va at a slow speed, as you travel down the middle of the St. You can see many cool looking buildings as you pass by (both sides). As you leave Petersburg there is also a abandoned station just to the south of where you stop. You leave the A line at Selma for the NcRR, and join the S-line in Raleigh, and ride that thru to Savannah. I think I covered everything I know. I haven't passed Orlando yet on that train. I hope this helps
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NJ Bill, if you are traveling with kids that age, I would think the fastest would be the best, especially in coach. Unless you are really into train stuff, go for the Meteor (97).

No one will be awake for most of the SC portions and you're not in Tampa on the Star (91) long enough to make the extra hours worth it. The amenities on both trains are identical.

Do check for last minute bargains in the sleeper. It will make your first morning in Florida seem a lot brighter. But coach will result in better stories after the trip. One of our best family folk tales, was a trip when our boys were about 8 and 6. The lady behind us in coach managed to eat a whole freshly baked cherry pie plus a considerable amount of fried chicken. The boys still talk about that one. It was on our return from WDW so we were able to catch up on sleep at home. We had 2 bedrooms going down.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, the sleeper is the best option. Both trains are both very identical. There is also a good attendant working sleeper on train 97, Allen Stark
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland's advice would be mine--take the Meteor if the price is the same, and try to upgrade to a sleeper if you can. I believe in summer this is often possible.

The trip to Tampa and back is very tiresome; I always try to avoid it if I can. It's true you see Virginia (very nice around Quantico esp) on the southbound Silver Star & not much on the southbound Meteor (although you may see some in June/July), but you see those nice bits on the northbound Meteor. And southbound on the Meteor, the area around Charleston is IMO more appealing than the interior route IMO (though you may be sleeping).

Enjoy the trip.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Both routes have different things. The Meteor thru my state, goes into the fields, and it is really nice, Not to mention some good photos. I think it is best to go south on one and north on the other, so you can see both

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page