RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » late LSL

Author Topic: late LSL
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just returned from a trip from WOR to MSP and return. Trip was uneventful except for the last leg. The LSL left Chicago eastbound an hour late on June 23. Since departure time is now 9:30, that meant 10:30 PM. Severe storms and tornado watch were given as the reason. While we were waiting, a very late California Zephyr pulled in, allowing some people to transfer to the LSL who probably thought the connection was lost. After departure, there were continual delays along the way. The Boston Section finally pulled into Worcester at 2:30 AM, about 7 and a half hours late. Surprisingly, the station attendant stays on duty until the train arrives, however late!

By the way, the Empire Builder eastbound arrived in MSP with private cars on the back. One was Beech Grove. The consist was backwards from the usual, with the Portland sleeper in the front. Word was that Amtrak President Boardman was aboard, although I didn't see him. Seem to recall that David Gunn rode in the sleepers with us regular travelers.

And one more incident. Just east of Syracuse, NY, the eastbound train was sideswiped by something sticking out from a passing freight. It pulled rubber moldings loose on some of the sleeper windows, mine being one of them, and made some other marks and dents. The train was stopped shortly thereafter while the conductors inspected the damage from outside, along with the engineer and some CSX men who arrived in a truck. Eventually it was decided that we could continue. First time I've seen that happen.

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page